OMC Stringer 800 serial #'s decoding

chiefalen

Captain
Re: OMC Stringer 800 serial #'s decoding

W.O.T 4200-4600 rpm's is what he book says.

So your right in there how fast you going?

You can use a gps to verify cause the boat speedos are never right.

And if you wanted you could hook a shop tach, and verify rpm's

Redoing the drive nice winter project.

You will need a very long piston ring pliers.

Or do what i did get a real long like 13 inch needle nose and grind down the tips to fit the ring on the bottom of the prop shaft.

If you run into a problem just post.

Your gears might just be right cause i re-read your last post your in the groove rpm wise.

You could always go down a pitch will give you another 2-4 hundrend rpm but will hurt top end.

Good luck

HappierWet

Master Chief Petty Officer

Hey, I don't want to hijack your thread and this has nothing to do with decoding the serial numbers. I just want to ask why the coupler didn't fit the new engine? Did you upgradem to fuel injection or something? Or is there some weird @#%* going on? :confused:

Scottdock

Cadet

The older engine being a 2 piece rear main seal had a different diameter crankshaft mounting flange. The new engine being a 1 piece rear main seal did not mate to the original flywheel and coupler. The newer engine also uses 4 bolts down the center of the valve covers compared to the older style. The intake manifold mounting bolts went from 12 to 8. I think the years were 1986 up to 1997. After that I believe they called them Vortec engines.

I have also been looking around at already rebuilt drives. It would make it really easy just bolting on one already done with the correct upper gears.

chiefalen

Captain

They had the same motor up to 89' ,90' is when it changed and again with the vortec in i think 97' not sure about the date.

It will drive you nuts, thats why i try to tell everyone to go with the same vintage type motor, ie a 85' swap with up to a 90' motor.

Just makes everything easier. And more importantly to most CHEAPER.

In my case the 140 merc swapped right with my 120 both were 85' motors.

Everything just went from one to other even the oil pan.

Manifold is omc fit right on the 140.

Sorry to hear about your tales of woes.

Now to your drive , just do a leak test, heres the link, to pressure test to see where you have a leak.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=255152