OMC Stringer 3.0 belt replacement

sopicki

Cadet
I looked through my OMC service manual and can find no procedure for replacement of the water pump/alternator belt.
I did a search of iBoats and could not find anything related to the OMC 3.0 belt replacement.
I'm looking at the motor and the belt goes around the forward motor mount. Am I missing something obvious or is the reason the belt looks to be original 1980's is because that mount has to come off to replace the belt?
Anyone have any tricks or techniques?
Thanks,
Bob
Massillon OH
1984 Cobia MonteCarlo 189xl
OMC 3.0 Stringer 400

Attachments

• OMC 3.0.jpg
    OMC 3.0.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 16

alldodge

Staff member
All 3.0 have the same issue. Remove the drive.
The motor needs to be supported either by the front of the oil pan, or held up by a chain. Disconnect the motor mount and replace. Once done check alignment

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
No need to remove the drive on a stringer

Trim all the way in, put a block of wood underneath the oil pan, trim out a bit so the engine is held by the block of wood, undo the front motor mount, trim out more to move the mount from the motor

Replace the belt

Trim down to get mouth back up, replace bolts, trim down to get motor off block of wood

southkogs

Staff member
Same idea as Scott when I would do mine: but I would use a scissor jack under some wood to support the engine.

sopicki

Cadet
Anyone know what the dimensions of the belt are? I can always mail order the belt but it would be nice for once to get one from AutoZone, Advance or NAPA.
Thank you,
Bob

Don't Panic!

Seaman
All 3.0 have the same issue. Remove the drive.
The motor needs to be supported either by the front of the oil pan, or held up by a chain. Disconnect the motor mount and replace. Once done check alignment
That's crazy. What if you pop a belt on the lake? Guess it's a good reason to be up on your routine maintenance.

mvn

Petty Officer 1st Class
That's crazy. What if you pop a belt on the lake? Guess it's a good reason to be up on your routine maintenance.
Lots of emergency v-belts out there that are adjustable in length. This is only 1 style.......

Attachments

• figNoggle_powerTwistBelt.jpg
    figNoggle_powerTwistBelt.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 1

sopicki

Cadet
Running trim in, placing front of motor on a 2x4 and removing front mount worked marvelously!!! Only disappointment is the belt I got is a little wider then the OMC belt so it rides higher in the pulleys. I saw a few original OMC belts out there for sale but they've got to be 20 years old right? I'm guessing the belt I pulled off my engine was the original 1984/86 belt, the edges were so hard they just crumbled. Should have purchased 2 belts and Zip-tied one inside of the mount as Supreme Mariner Bt Doctur suggested. Another great idea.
Looks like all the prep work is done, I'm going to try the first test drive in the lake tomorrow.
Thanks for everyone's help.
Bob

Bondo

Staff member
Only disappointment is the belt I got is a little wider then the OMC belt so it rides higher in the pulleys.
Ayuh,..... Welcome Aboard,..... It rides higher because it ain't worn out,.....
The sides are the wear point on V-belts,....