OMC Stern Drive won't raise up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lsnow

Cadet
My 1983 Sun Ray (3.8 liter) OMC stern drive won't raise. The solenoids were clicking and the drive wouldn't go up or down. I replaced the blown 50 amp fuse and both solenoids. Then the drive would lower but it won't go back up. Please help.

southkogs

Staff member
Re: OMC Stern Drive won't raise up

Make sure your battery is all charged up. After that, I think I'd be pulling the tilt motor off and seeing if it actually works. Was the tilt working before?

irish24

Seaman Apprentice

Is there a second fuse for the raise? If you replaced both solenoids and potential fuses, it's prob a wire/contact issue. Being that your hydraulic still works in one direction it's prob still good the other way too. Re-check your wiring on your previous work. Another way to check if you possibly bought a "bad" solenoid, is to switch them around and see if your drive will operate the opposite direction after the swap. You'd be surprised how often ppl buy bad electronic components that are actually bad to start with....just a thought. Switch might be bad too, how long has it not been working?

....back to the garage.

Lsnow

Cadet

Thanks for the suggestions. I bought the boat last week. Previous owner claimed that it would often click but would work after a couple of tries. I replaced the 9 year old battery also. I don't know if there are other fuses. I'll try to follow the wires. The terminals on the solenoids test good with a test light when the switch is activated both up and down, but now the motor is all the way down and won't go back up.

southkogs

Staff member

Mine a little older than yours, but if the solenoids are clicking - the fuses are okay. Gear back hanging off the back can be a problem area too, but I would sort out a functional motor first. Do you have a good manual (I can't find your wiring diagram in my stuff)?

vi

Seaman

Try tapping tilt motor lightly with a one lb ball peen hammer while someone works the switch. I generally have to do this first time of the season.

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

grease the trunnion bearings where the drive pivots.
and check what sort of watery mucky mess is in the tilt clutch housing if it hasn't been serviced recently... and make sure the cover is shimmed properly (often 2 shim gaskets are required to keep the cover clear of the brass worm gear.)

Make sure the quadrant gear on the drive isn't bent or damaged and make sure the drive is lined up center on the trunnions or those 2 little bullet things that fit in the intermediate can bind in the full down position

kfa4303

Banned

Ba-ba booey!!!!!!! Love the name Howard Sterndrive!

THE BEEF

Chief Petty Officer

Pull the quad gear off and bump the switch it might be stuck in the down position.

Good luck
Beef

Lsnow

Cadet

Update: I tried tapping on the tilt motor, no change. I checked the wires at the tilt motor, they seem to be working properly. They are getting power when the switch is activated up and down. I'll need to research what and where the quad gear is for those that have suggested that, if that doesn't work, it looks like I'll be replacing the tilt motor. Thanks for the info.

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

I would suggest you get a factory manual off ebay or from Ken Cook. The trunnion bearings are to be greased every 50 hours or twice a season.
Replacing that inconveniently located tilt motor before doing periodic maintenance (a couple of shots of grease) seems a bit masochistic.

Lsnow

Cadet

Howard Sterndrive - well said. I'll try that.

THE BEEF

Chief Petty Officer

Quad gear has 3 3/4 head bolts , it looks like a rack gear with a arc. Just below left side on the back, wide open, very easy to pull.

Lsnow

Cadet

I pulled the quadrant gear, I tied the motor up in the top possition, and watched the spur gear while my wife activated the tilt switch up and down. The spur gear did not move. I re-installed the quadrant gear and lifted the out drive while my wife activated the switch a few more times. The spur gear then moved a couple of times but not consistently, and only one a tooth or two at a time (not spinning the whole time the switch was activated). Unless I wiggle the drive, it doesn't move up or down. Then I pulled the fill screw on the clutch pack cover to check the level and condition of the oil. A small amount of light blue oil spilled out of the screw hole so the level was full. Now I'm stuck again.

Larry E

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I pulled the quadrant gear, I tied the motor up in the top possition, and watched the spur gear while my wife activated the tilt switch up and down. The spur gear did not move. I re-installed the quadrant gear and lifted the out drive while my wife activated the switch a few more times. The spur gear then moved a couple of times but not consistently, and only one a tooth or two at a time (not spinning the whole time the switch was activated). Unless I wiggle the drive, it doesn't move up or down. Then I pulled the fill screw on the clutch pack cover to check the level and condition of the oil. A small amount of light blue oil spilled out of the screw hole so the level was full. Now I'm stuck again.

Pull the tilt motor and make sure the "hammer" coupler is not broken.

Larry E

Lsnow

Cadet

I drained the fluid from the clutch pack. It was mixed with light blue oil and water. I removed the tilt motor and removed the hammer-blow coupling. The couplers are not broken and do not appear to be damaged. I bench tested the tilt motor and the armature shaft did not spin when tested.

southkogs

Staff member

I had my tilt motor rebuilt last year, and had my trim motor rebuilt this year ... heckuva lot cheaper than buyin' a new one.

Auto parts shop here in Nashville rebuilds 'em.

Lsnow

Cadet

Update: installed new tilt motor, purchased from Amazon.com, now it all works great. Thanks for the advice. Ready for the lake!

southkogs

Staff member

Excellent ... now you know how to deal with the SelectTrim motor (if ya' got one) when (probably not "if") it let's go.

Enjoy the water!

Lsnow

Cadet

Southkogs: yes my boat does have a select trim motor. So far it works.

Thanks to all those who commented on the thread. As this is my first boat, I've learned a lot already and will learn much more.

Status
Not open for further replies.