OMC / MERCRUISER frankenstein neutral cutoff switch

joeyr

Seaman Apprentice
I had a mercruiser inline 6 GM 250 4.3L and replaced it with an OMC inline 6 GM250. There isn't much different between the two engines. The only thing on the boat that is OMC is the engine. All other controls and support hardware is still MERCRUISER. Unfortunately the electrical is different. I notice that the neutral cutoff switch was left disconnected. Some say I don't need it but I do want to hook it up as my engine can only idle so low. and sometime, especial at the tight docks, I need to switch between reverse and forward often. It's the only time it's a problem.
My question is: does anyone know where I connect the mercruiser neutral cutoff switch (old type) on the OMC harness/engine? perhaps wire colors would be helpful.

Last edited:

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Is this a Mercruiser install or a OMC install?
Wiring harness from the old engine can be used ,no need to chop up a OMC harness.
The switch is wired to the neg side of the coil is using points. 1 side of the swith is ground, the other side goes to the - coil.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... Like BD says, use the accessories, 'n wirin' from the Mercruiser motor, 'n yer OMC motor becomes the Mercruiser motor,.....

achris

More fish than mountain goat
One side of the switch goes to ground, the other to the '-' of the coil... Job done. If you are unsure of the wires in the harness, just run a new wire directly between the switch and the coil '-'...