omc cobra will not come out of forward gear please help

wheeler87

Seaman Apprentice
Re: omc cobra will not come out of forward gear please help

No the overstroke switch is not depressed . I made sure of that when I was checking the switches with the meter.

Boatin Bob

Lieutenant Commander

Wheeler...just want to double check what you saw with the meter when you checked those 2 switches because the readings should have been opposite of each other.
The interupt switch should have been open until you lift the arm, the overstroke switch should have been closed until you depress the button.

wheeler87

Seaman Apprentice

Boatin Bob,
That is correct the overstroke switch reads closed till I press up on the little button , and the ESA switch with the little metal arm reads open till I move the arm.

lakelivin

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Long shot here, and haven't been following (or read) this too closely (time problems), so forgive me if I've missed something above.

Have you mechanically adjusted/ aligned both the shift interupt switch and the overstroke switch acording to the five step procedure in Stuarts links?

Even if both switches & the ESA are good, if the cams that depress the overstroke switch are severly out of alignment w.r.t. the button on the overstroke switch, it could prevent the interrupt switch from doing it's job as you try to shift out of gear or even manually test the interrupt switch while in neutral, no?

In other words, if the button on the overstroke switch is depressed while in neutral, that would prevent the shift interupt switch from triggering the ESA to make the engine stumble, even if all three parts are good..

An OEM OMC Service Manual would be a VERY worthwhile investment if you're gonna do much on your own.

Boatin Bob

Lieutenant Commander

Wheeler...based on your answers to everyones questions about not being able to manually engage the ESA while running in neutral I have to believe your ESA module is bad.

wheeler87

Seaman Apprentice

Boatin bob,
I have to believe you are correct , recently I tested the voltage at the blue wire coming from the ESA to the micro switch as per jfcar instructions and got 0 volts both with the micro switch open and closed . That along with all the testing and checks performed as per everyone here helping me , the only thing possible would be the ESA itself . I am going to replace the ESA asap I will let everyone here know if it works after that .

wheeler87

Seaman Apprentice

ok I ordered a new ESA module through a local dealer . Will let you guys know if that solved my problem as soon as I recieve and install it.

wheeler87

Seaman Apprentice

SUCESS, ok guys thank you all for you're help . Got the new ESA module in and installed , now everything (with the shifting) is perfect !!!!!! cant thank you guys enough for all you're help . You guys are great!!!!!!!!!!! I have one more issue but I'll post a new thread for that thanks again.