omc cobra will not come out of forward gear please help

wheeler87

Seaman Apprentice
Re: omc cobra will not come out of forward gear please help

Thanks for sticking with me on this one guys , You all probably think I am an idiot (maybe I am ) . But I appreciate all of you're help

wheeler87

Seaman Apprentice

That link worked will try tomorrow thanks

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Wheeler,

You said in a previous post you have points right? If so, you don't need the info in that link since that is for electronic distributors. You need to figure out why your ESA isn't working.

Boatin Bob

Lieutenant Commander

Wheeler....have you verified you have 12v feeding the ESA and that the ground wire is securly fastened? If you do and assuming the switches tested OK as per your post then it would seem like your ESA has failed. If going to replace then the Rapair # given above by Bruce is pretty good as it has the fix built in should you decide to go to electronic ignition.

wheeler87

Seaman Apprentice

I know that the ground is ok I have cleaned and re secured it along with some dielectric compound . Checking for 12 volts to the esa is probably the only thing I havnt checked . Do you know which wire in the harness should read 12v

Boatin Bob

Lieutenant Commander

As I said back in my post on Sept 30

You also need to check the 2 pin connection on the purple wire for 12volts to feed the ESA and also check the black wire that goes to ground

wheeler87

Seaman Apprentice

will do boatin bob ill let you know later what i discover

wheeler87

Seaman Apprentice

ok,
The esa is getting 9.8 volts with the engine off and the key on. It is getting 12.7v with the engine running . Both the esa switch and the shift interrupt switch are functioning according to my ohm meter. The esa numbers are 984281 which according to the numbers provided by bruceb58 I have the old ESA . The distributer is a mallory points dist # YS621CV The wires going to the ESA are as fallows Purple-12v/ goes to + side of coil , grey - ground (goes to ground on coil ) still with everything connected , the micro switch for the esa does nothing with the engine running . no stumbling or missfiring in the engine it runs just as smooth with no RPM changes.

Boatin Bob

Lieutenant Commander

Something doesn't sound right there although I don't know if it's causing your problem, the purple wire should not be coming or going to the positive side of the coil, it should be going to a splitter off the alternator into the main harness and eventually come from the ignition switch, the grey definitely should be going to negative side though. I would expect you to see around 12.6 v with the key on (engine off) and probably around 13+ with the engine running....how accurate is your meter?

jfcar

Cadet

Purle wire on my 1991 OMC goes to + side of coil and pin B on esa connector. Do you have five wire coming out of esa (blue, black, gray, purple and gray/black. Blue going to micro switchs, black going to micro switchs and ground, gray going to main wire harness, purple going to + side of coil and gray/black going to - side of coil. If so do the following check.

Connect a voltmeter between the blue wire at ESA and ground turn on key and check for 2.5-5.0 volts when shift assist switch is open (raise or lower the load sensing lever). Close shift assist switch and check for 0-1.0 volts.

jfcar

Cadet

Purle wire on my 1991 OMC goes to + side of coil and pin B on esa connector. Do you have five wire coming out of esa (blue, black, gray, purple and gray/black. Blue going to micro switchs, black going to micro switchs and ground, gray going to main wire harness, purple going to + side of coil and gray/black going to - side of coil. If so do the following check.

Connect a voltmeter between the blue wire at ESA and ground turn on key and check for 2.5-5.0 volts when shift assist switch is open (raise or lower the load sensing lever). Close shift assist switch and check for 0-1.0 volts.

wheeler87

Seaman Apprentice

the meter is pretty accurate , I checked the voltage at the battery with it and got a reading of 13v . That is exactly what the volts gauge in the boat says

wheeler87

Seaman Apprentice

jfcar

Yes I have the five wire plug as you dicribed. I will check is as you said tomorrow. If I dont get those readings what does that tell me (the ESA is bad)

Boatin Bob

Lieutenant Commander

OK wheeler...you've got me confused all to hell now. On the previous page you say you have the old ESA based on PN and you have the 4 pin connector with the 2 blacks and a blue jumper and points ignition. Now you tell jfcar that you have the 5 wire connector like he does which is on 91's and up because they electronic ignition. I give up trying to figure out what you really have??

jfcar

Cadet

If you get those reading the ESA should be good.

Fishstick1962

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Purple is normally a switched (Ignition switch) 12vdc (or what ever batt volts are at) and usually only drops below that during the start cycle as the starter load draws it down. i.e. Key off=0vdc, key in run position=12vdc, key in start position= less than12vdc, You may have a miss wired system.
Hope this helps... Good luck!

wheeler87

Seaman Apprentice

Boatin Bob ,

I am the one that is confused . I Believe I am Mistaking the blue jumper wire for a 5th wire It is definatly 4 pins on the connecter .

jfcar

Cadet

Regardless the color of wires, you should have two wires coming out of ESA to the micro switches. One will probably be black the ground; the other wire (which is my blue wire) is the wire you will get the reading I mentioned in the other post for ESA check.

marunr

Petty Officer 1st Class

Is the overstroke button depressed? If it's out of adjustment the button could be depressed and that would cause it to bypass the main switch (would that cause a drop in voltage?) Once my overstroke switch button got stuck in the depressed mode because the screws holding it to the bracket were too tight causing in to bind up inside.

Maybe Boatin Bob's instructions on checking the voltage already accounts for this.