OMC Autoblend Tank

burroak

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Does anyone have any experience with an autoblend tank in which the oil is separate from the gasoline and can be made 25:1, 50:1, or 100:1.? How reliable is this thing?

Attachments

• autoblend tank.jpg
    autoblend tank.jpg
    5.2 KB · Views: 0

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: OMC Autoblend Tank

i personally don't know a thing about them. but i not trusting my motor to it. it's either premix, or Vro. and it seems like there was a problem with them.

CATransplant

Admiral

Oddly, I'd never heard of these. I suspect there may be a reason for that, since the idea's a good one.

I'm betting that there were problems with the tanks, and they were discontinued. I could be wrong, but I wouldn't risk any engine of mine with one.

burroak

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Oddly, I'd never heard of these. I suspect there may be a reason for that, since the idea's a good one.

I'm betting that there were problems with the tanks, and they were discontinued. I could be wrong, but I wouldn't risk any engine of mine with one.

I suspect that you are right.(Notice how fresh the tank looks):D I just couldn't figure out how the metering function worked(?). I had never seen one of these things either.

tashasdaddy

like i said i've heard of them, but not on mine.

tashasdaddy

knew i had heard of it. this is from a 2004 post:

WillyBWright
Admiral
Smell our Dairy Air.

Re: auto blend

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Autoblend isn't supposed to be used on motors larger than twins. On small motors, you had to replace the fuel pump with a larger motor version. There were Autoblends in the portable tank and separate ones for boats with built-in tanks. Early ones were 100:1. I think there was a later version for built-in tanks that mixed at 60:1. I don't think they ever made anything but a 100:1 portable tank version, although they did make a kit to convert those tanks to regular non-injected tanks. I don't know, but I don't think they're available in any form anymore. I rigged a few for kickers over the years and they worked well. But those were way smaller than 75Hp.

BillP

Captain

I don't know remember the dates but OMC's Autoblend and Accumix had something like 25 or more yrs in production. They stopped selling them in the late 1990s or early 2000s.

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

That WillyBWright fella's got some weird trivia up in that oft-impaired brain of his. ;)

bluegill

Recruit

My 1986 15hp Johnson came with one. On the second trip to the lake it went from the 100:1 mixture to 1:100 -- the motor quit cause it was full of oil. I guess that was better than no oil since the motor didn't fry. Still, it was a long paddle back. The dealer replaced the auto-blend tank and cleared the motor. The mechanic said get a normal tank and mix it 50:1. I did and it still runs like new.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

My 1986 15hp Johnson came with one. On the second trip to the lake it went from the 100:1 mixture to 1:100 -- the motor quit cause it was full of oil. I guess that was better than no oil since the motor didn't fry. Still, it was a long paddle back. The dealer replaced the auto-blend tank and cleared the motor. The mechanic said get a normal tank and mix it 50:1. I did and it still runs like new.

Welcome to iboats.
Can you explain a little more how it could go to 1:100 ???
Why were you at 100:1 with the 15hp Johnson in the first place. I thought they were meant to run at 50:1 but I could be mistaken.
At least you had enough oil !!!!

BillP

Captain

OMC changed to 100:1 lube for a couple yrs in the mid 1980s. They had corrosion issues and changed back to 50:1.

bp

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Thanks Bill. Clears that up for me. 100:1 does seem a little lean to me.

C-VENN

Cadet

I have a 1987 or 1988 25hp Johnson motor with this tank. It worked fine up until this year. It will not supply gas to the motor. I have changed all hoses and fitting on the tank. I know it is the tank problem, because I hooked another gas can (premixed at 50-1) to the motor and the thing runs fine. Should I just use the pre-mix tank and not worry about the other tank? Will it be fine for the motor?

Sorry to jump on this tread with my question, but I kind of fits perfect.

Thanks in advance
Charles

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

There is a float that shuts off the gas if the oil gets too low.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Personally I would go premix. It sounds a little scary to me with this tank !!

C-VENN

Cadet

I know about the shut off, the oil is full. I think I am going to just stay with the premix tank. It ran fine over the weekend, Don't want to mess with it now.

dkellington

Cadet

I picked up a very well maintained Striper last year. The 8HP Merc kicker uses an accu-mix system. I have no way to tell if the system is a 50:1 or 100:1 model and I am curious if there is a way to distingush the two. There are no visible markings on the tank that I can see. I also have my doubts about the mixture I am getting. While the motor runs great it does smoke a little more than a typical 2-stroke. The big issue for me is the amount of sluge that drains from the prop exhaust and waterpump weep hole after each use. No other 2-stoke I have owned did this (but then they were pre-mix tanks). It's as if the mixture is way too rich.

I have inspected the plugs and they do not appear "overly" fouled and my compression is fine. Engine starts up easily, runs fine and does not appear to load up.

My question is...has anybody experienced the same issue using the accu-mix system (i.e, is it the nature of accu-mix to do this)?

RogersJetboat454

Commander

I picked up a very well maintained Striper last year. The 8HP Merc kicker uses an accu-mix system. I have no way to tell if the system is a 50:1 or 100:1 model and I am curious if there is a way to distingush the two. There are no visible markings on the tank that I can see. I also have my doubts about the mixture I am getting. While the motor runs great it does smoke a little more than a typical 2-stroke. The big issue for me is the amount of sluge that drains from the prop exhaust and waterpump weep hole after each use. No other 2-stoke I have owned did this (but then they were pre-mix tanks). It's as if the mixture is way too rich.

I have inspected the plugs and they do not appear "overly" fouled and my compression is fine. Engine starts up easily, runs fine and does not appear to load up.

My question is...has anybody experienced the same issue using the accu-mix system (i.e, is it the nature of accu-mix to do this)?

This thread is nearing 6 years old, and it isn't yours. Please read the forum rules; http://forums.iboats.com/forum-rules-guidelines/forum-rules-397820.html
Then start your own thread with your questions. ;)