OMC 5.7 swapping from points dizzy to Delco EST

LAC_STS

Master Chief Petty Officer
I currently have a Prestolite points IGN. I am going to buy the marine Delco EST electronic IGN setup. It comes with a dizzy, coil, plug wires, harnesses, and the diagrams to hook it up including how to hook it up to an OMC shift interrupter.

My question is when swapping it can I just remember which cylinder the old dizzy is pointed to and then put the new dizzy in and start wiring the plug wires with that cyl?

Like say I take the cap off the old dizzy and it's on cyl 3. Can I take the dizzy out, put the new dizzy in and then whatever plug the new dizzy is on I would put the cyl 3 plug wire on that then work my way around?

Or should I put the engine at #1 TDC and do it that way?

Much thanks

Bondo

Staff member
Re: OMC 5.7 swapping from points dizzy to Delco EST

I currently have a Prestolite points IGN. I am going to buy the marine Delco EST electronic IGN setup. It comes with a dizzy, coil, plug wires, harnesses, and the diagrams to hook it up including how to hook it up to an OMC shift interrupter.

My question is when swapping it can I just remember which cylinder the old dizzy is pointed to and then put the new dizzy in and start wiring the plug wires with that cyl?

Like say I take the cap off the old dizzy and it's on cyl 3. Can I take the dizzy out, put the new dizzy in and then whatever plug the new dizzy is on I would put the cyl 3 plug wire on that then work my way around?

Or should I put the engine at #1 TDC and do it that way?

Much thanks

Ayuh,.... Do it the Right way,....

Lou C

Supreme Mariner

Yes do it the right way and check to find out if you need to replace the ESA module with one from CDI electronics that works with the EST system. Personally I see no need to change from points. I check the dwell and timing each season and replace them when they get pitted. Just like the cars we had back in the 70s right Bondo?

MikDee

Banned

Make a mark across the Dizzy base, & manifold for reference (if there's not one there already?) Then pull the Dizzy out with the crank on TDC, & Cyl #1 of the Dizzy. Then don't crank, or turn over, the engine! You'll be able to drop it all in as it was before then, ready for final timing with a light.

LAC_STS

Will do Bondo.

Yes do it the right way and check to find out if you need to replace the ESA module with one from CDI electronics that works with the EST system. Personally I see no need to change from points. I check the dwell and timing each season and replace them when they get pitted. Just like the cars we had back in the 70s right Bondo?

Hi Lou. I was going to go by this diagram that I got which shows hooking it up without the ESA just using the interrupter and overstroke switch.

Delco EST Shift Interupt Diagram.JPG

Lou C

Supreme Mariner

It looks like they have you wiring it like a Mercruiser, but I'd call em anyway to make sure. A Cobra will not like having a non functioning shift interrupt...

LAC_STS

It looks like they have you wiring it like a Mercruiser, but I'd call em anyway to make sure. A Cobra will not like having a non functioning shift interrupt...

They gave me a 5 page instruction thing. It has one page for OMC shift setup (the one I posted) and another page for merc shift setup. I will do some more research and ask them again and see what they say.

Thanks

Heres the Merc page.

EPSON006.jpg

Last edited: