OMC 5.0L Wiring Diagram

Tgibson94

Cadet
hello everyone, So Today i am taking my cracked mercruiser 5.0l out and replacing it with an OMC 5.0L, issue here is the existing 10-pin plug on my boat is a male connection. The OMC 5.0l 10-pin connector on the block is also a male connection.

so im looking at cutting the female end off my 5.0l mercruiser and splicing it on the correct connection type on the OMC Motor, im in need of the wiring diagram for the OMC in order to keep it the same. cant seem to find any on the web.

Attachments

• 20220911_112319.jpg
    20220911_112319.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 5
  • 20220911_112329.jpg
    20220911_112329.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 5
  • 20220911_112403.jpg
    20220911_112403.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 5
Last edited:

Bondo

Staff member
hello everyone, So Today i am taking my cracked mercruiser 5.0l out and replacing it with an OMC 5.0L, issue here is the existing 10-pin plug on my boat is a male connection. The OMC 5.0l 10-pin connector on the block is also a male connection.

so im looking at cutting the female end off my 5.0l mercruiser and splicing it on the correct connection type on the OMC Motor, im in need of the wiring diagram for the OMC in order to keep it the same. cant seem to find any on the web.
Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,..... It'll be a hell of alot easier to just swap the Merc wirin' harness over to the new motor,....

Matter of fact, yer life will be much better, to strip All the OMC stuff off the motor, 'n redress the long block, with all the Merc dressin's,....

Otherwise, that cannon plug will be the least of yer problems,....

Tgibson94

Cadet
Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,..... It'll be a hell of alot easier to just swap the Merc wirin' harness over to the new motor,....

Matter of fact, yer life will be much better, to strip All the OMC stuff off the motor, 'n redress the long block, with all the Merc dressin's,....

Otherwise, that cannon plug will be the least of yer problems,....
Problem is I'm missing the pcm from the Merc. Will it not work correctly by tracing everything down and wiring it the same as the merc was as far as sensors and such go?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Take your 5 liter OMC and unbolt everything OMC bolted to the GM block and heads and throw away

Now take all the Mercruiser stuff on your busted GM block and bolt onto the other block

Tgibson94

Cadet
Take your 5 liter OMC and unbolt everything OMC bolted to the GM block and heads and throw away

Now take all the Mercruiser stuff on your busted GM block and bolt onto the other block
Just went to switch over the merc engine coupler and found out the flexplate is different. Took the merc flex plate and tried bolting it up, but the inner hole diameter is different.

This omc was a direct drive/tilt motor. Do they make an omc engine coupler so I can use the omc flexplate etc.

Also looking at the exhaust headers, the merc won't bolt directly up.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Are you mixing 1985 and older 2-piece RMS motor parts with 1986 and newer 1-piece RMS parts?

Because it won't work

What years are the motors

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
That explains it then. The 1984 engine is a 2 piece main seal engine and the 1997 is a 1 piece main seal engine. The flywheels are different & that’s why the Merc coupler won’t fit the OMC flywheel. Not sure how to work around this….

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
When replacing engines you can’t mix years that are not part of the same basic series with the exception of changing a one piece main pre Vortec with a Vortec (all of which were one piece main seal engines).
This is a change GM made has nothing to to with OMC or Merc they just had to change their couplers to fit the changes GM made. You need a 1986 or newer engine….

Tgibson94

Cadet
Missed it by 2 years. Damn. Thank you for all the help. New to boats and picked this project up.

Attachments

• 20220821_190027.jpg
    20220821_190027.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 5
  • 20220821_201533.jpg
    20220821_201533.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 5
  • 20220821_201523.jpg
    20220821_201523.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 5

Bondo

Staff member
Just went to switch over the merc engine coupler and found out the flexplate is different. Took the merc flex plate and tried bolting it up, but the inner hole diameter is different.

This omc was a direct drive/tilt motor. Do they make an omc engine coupler so I can use the omc flexplate etc.

Also looking at the exhaust headers, the merc won't bolt directly up.
Ayuh,.... If you want to continue down this course, you need a Chevy Flywheel for an 85, 'n earlier 305/ 350, in the same diameter as the one from the boat, probably 168 teeth,...
A Flywheel from a standard shift trans will also work, as the coupler uses the clutch pressure plate holes,....

Lots of 'em around, not really a big deal, except for one possible problem,.....
Is there 2, or 3 starter mountin' holes in the block,..??
If 3, No problem, if 2, yer right, that block is of no use to ya,....

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Staff member
I would get a 1996 or newer motor. And yes, the old OMC motor was a waste of time and money

Tgibson94

Cadet
Ayuh,.... If you want to continue down this course, you need a Chevy Flywheel for an 86, 'n later 305/ 350, in the same diameter as the one from the boat, probably 168 teeth,...
A Flywheel from a standard shift trans will also work, as the coupler uses the clutch pressure plate holes,....

Lots of 'em around, not really a big deal, except for one possible problem,.....
Is there 2, or 3 starter mountin' holes in the block,..??
If 3, No problem, if 2, yer right, that block is of no use to ya,....
Even though the omc motor is an 84?

Tgibson94

Cadet
I'm also looking at welding up the merc I have and seeing if it'll hold water. Only issue is when I bought the boat, the merc didn't have the ecm with it. Any help finding an ecm for it? The original 861925T3 ecm is no longer sold and I can't find the new replacement conversion kit for it anywhere.

Bondo

Staff member
Even though the omc motor is an 84?
Oops,... My bad, got that backwards,..... I'll edit the above,.....

Btw,.... What are you callin' the ecm,..??
I thought this is a carbed motor,..??

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
If its got an ECM controlled efi system (probably throttle body EFI) and no ecm, there was a place that could repair these, maybe you can contact them & see if they have spares.
Otherwise, see what intake you have, you might be able to simply convert back to a simpler (and better IMO) carbed engine. You'd need a carb style intake, and a low pressure electric pump, unless using a pre-Vortec engine then its even better you get to use a cheap and reliable Carter mechanical pump.
I'd take the opportunity to go with a nice 4bb, Edelbrock is easier if you have a Merc. Carbed engines are not subject to Merc's making parts NLA. Because all is available from Edelbrock & Holley, pumps from Carter. I can even get just about any part I need for a Quadrajet that hasn't been made in over 30 years.