OMC 4.3 L Cooling Issues

Capt Big

Cadet
Hello all, I have a 1988 4.3 L OMC Motor GM block. I have having some cooling issues maybe someone could help..

The issue we are having is the port heat exchanger gets so hot to the point it starts smoking where the starboard side stays pretty cool. I have checked the t-stat, the impeller, and the water pump on the engine (2 of the 3 were bad but I have replaced them all), I have good waterflow all the way around from what I can tell and I am still having the same issue with the heat exchanger. oR SHOULD i SAY RISERS?

This is causing some overheating as well when I get throttle going full blast on the muffs

Is there anything I am missing becuase I'm drawing a blank now. Its the only thing keeping me from getting on the water again and I'm at witts end.

Thanks for any help you guys can give

fishinpa

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: OMC 4.3 L Cooling Issues

Hello all, I have a 1988 4.3 L OMC Motor GM block. I have having some cooling issues maybe someone could help..

The issue we are having is the port heat exchanger gets so hot to the point it starts smoking where the starboard side stays pretty cool. I have checked the t-stat, the impeller, and the water pump on the engine (2 of the 3 were bad but I have replaced them all), I have good waterflow all the way around from what I can tell and I am still having the same issue with the heat exchanger. oR SHOULD i SAY RISERS?

This is causing some overheating as well when I get throttle going full blast on the muffs

Is there anything I am missing becuase I'm drawing a blank now. Its the only thing keeping me from getting on the water again and I'm at witts end.

Thanks for any help you guys can give

If ya keep this up you wont be gettin on the water anytime soon !:eek:

where you missing pieces of the impeller when changed??

fish

Capt Big

Cadet
Re: OMC 4.3 L Cooling Issues

no pieces missing on the impeller. We have excellent flow, I'm starting to think the risers but I'm looking at 1200 for them.

Break Out ANother Thousand I suppose :( but I suppose end result worth it :)