Omc 140 3.0l convert from points to electric?

mr.andy

Cadet
Thread starter
Joined
Mar 5, 2010
Messages
24
Hey all I have recently been wanting to convert from my ignition coil pack to a distributor with a coil pack built in, I have done it on my old ford but I was wondering if there is such a thing for this old omc engine? does someone make the part?


similar to this obviously this is for a ford engine but the concept is the same.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/FORD-Small...330447&hash=item2c709893a1:g:oR0AAOSwsB9WBv0R

thanks

Andy
 

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Joined
Jul 23, 2011
Messages
53,195
You can either get a pertronix trigger, or a delco voyager distributor.

However, i would simply keep the points.
 

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Joined
Nov 10, 2002
Messages
14,463
if you convert to electronic from points you will have to either install a ESA module that works with the electronic distributor, or fab up the diode fix used for the Petronix system. I thought of doing this but in the end it was just easier to keep the points and replace them when needed. I've usually gotten 4-5 seasons out of a set of points and condenser. On the OMC with dog clutch shifting the ESA must work or else you will have trouble shifting out of gear. When its all set up right it actually works well, it will not stall the engine as can happen with a Merc Alpha.
 
Top