Old-puter nerds -- your all time Favorite video game?

12Footer

Fleet Admiral
I've been around computers since the first home computer was factory-built (wanted an Altair, but could not afford one at the time).<br />I spent hours at the keyboard of the Commodore C64, and the Vic-20 before it.<br />I learned to program in Commodore's easy version of basic, and had a blast. I made a program (with the help of my son), that translated morse code. <br />But many lonely nights were made easier by playing some of the best video games ever made. Sure, by today's standards, most were pretty lame. But I remember a game (reminded by a show on the history channel, telling of the "dambusters"), The C64 had a game called "Dambusters", which was very lifelike, and true to the history of the sortis flown durring WW-II.<br />It was my all-time favorite game.<br />Then there was the classic, "Bolder dash".<br />The hardest part of playing some of those oldies was the load time.... Plug the expansion cartrage in, put the 5"floppy in the massive drive, and type-in the old command, "Load 8,1,*"....Then, go brew some coffee, take a shower, and come back and wait.<br />But it was worth it.<br />Does anyone else have a favorite game from the golden era of "pre-Gates"?

NathanY

Commander
Re: Old-puter nerds -- your all time Favorite video game?

Beach-Head or something like that,on Commodore64

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Yea, Dambusters was one of my favories too. I only managed to do it once! It was hard.<br /><br />I also liked that car racing game where you could change the gravity. I think it was "racing destruction set" or something like that.<br /><br />For two player, I loved baseball. The grapics stunk, but my friends dad hacked into the game and changed the team to the Astros lineup, and we would kick butt.<br /><br />I also played "One on One" with Dr J.<br /><br />The C64 is where I learned to program in BASIC. Had to write my own software for the new model I had so it could use "Punter" download software. PEEK and POKE, it took forever.<br /><br />I also had a TI-99-4A that had a few crappy games.<br /><br />On the Atari, I liked "Adventure". Just when you thought you were finished, that stupid dragon would come by and chomp you!!! Then the bat would steal your key!!<br /><br />Ken

Drowned Rat

Captain

Liked "Combat" for the Atari 2600. It was a tank vs. tank game. Also good was the original "Pitfall". My favorite modern game is "Grand Theft Auto" for PS2.

cmyers_uk

Senior Chief Petty Officer

scramble all time favorite and them defender and astroides. But cant beat the first space invaders it got me hooked

bh357

Chief Petty Officer

On the Commodore 64, I used to love Ghostbusters and Summer Games. The worst part is that once the game was loaded, you felt like playing something else. Does anyone remember the "Fast Load" cartridge that you can get. Sped up the load time from 2 eternities to just an eternity.<br /><br />I loved the old Atari 2600 games. I actually have a 2600, that I just need to get a video cord for. In the past couple of years I picked up a bunch of games for it. Guess I'm just reliving my childhood (I'm 29, which puts me in grade school when the 2600 was new). I used to love Combat, along with the racing games Pole Position and Enduro. The racing games were good for giving you "Atari Thumb" from using that dreaded pushbutten on the joystick.<br /><br />We also had a TRS 80 Model III. This was my parents first computer and what I learned to progarm BASIC on. I used to play the early text adventures such as Zork and Adventure on it.

SlowlySinking

Master Chief Petty Officer

Ah, my old TI-99 4A, a computer ahead of it's time, 16 bit, plug in expansion cards, would have been a winner if the folks at TI hadn't tried to hog the software development. It had some great games considering the less than 2 mhz CPU. today my early 1980's $3000 plus investment is worth about $5. Check ebay, the old Atari's, TI's and other pre-IBMs still sell.

11 footer

Lieutenant

I never used computers that old, but like drowned rat, my favorit modern game is "Grand Theft Auto, Vice City"

jimr

we used to play atari for hours on end astroids pacman etc. I was in the "computer" club in elementary school with tandy trs80 computers woo-hoo state of the art then. then apple 2c's in middle school wow color computers. <br />my favorite games now are ghost recon,swat3,hard truck 18 wheels of steel,bass fishing<br />my mom and dad have my old atari and still use it my dad had a stroke a few years ago and has a hard time following the newer super fast games

JoeW

I loved Astroids. Today it sounds more like something Preparation H should handle. <br /> :D <br />I worked as a computer operator on an IBM mainframe before I ever saw my first personal computer. There was a text based adventure game that was fun, but I can't remember the name of it.

Kenneth Brown

Captain

I liked plating Oregan Trail (sorry for the spelling) on the computor. That nice green glow kinda got old after a while though. I see that there is a modern version out now and will get it for the POS ps2 sometime I guess.

kd6nem

Chief Petty Officer

Choplifter, and whatever the room mate's old Heath Zenith Z80 had on it for a flight sim. Landed in the cornfield a lot at first!

mrbscott19

Chief Petty Officer

My favorite all time game is Final Fantasy 7. But for pre-gate, I'd have to say joust for the Atari 5200. That or Radar Rat Race for Commodore.

ae708

Chief Petty Officer

I used to love to play Speed Racer on my old C-64.

TwoBallScrewBall

Lieutenant Commander

Joew94th, was it called "Rogue"? :)

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Didn't play any games on my Zorba, 12Footer, but I had a robot that could read BASIC and had great fun programming exotic moves for it. Even got it to write it's name (Tobor).

wilkin250r

Chief Petty Officer

I had an old Tandy growing up, and I loved a game called "Rocky's Boots". It was an introduction to digital logic, and you have to build a contraption to trigger off certain targets. We used to spend many hours trying to solve certain puzzles. I guess that's why I became and engineer :) <br /><br />Just recently, I found an emulator program and a copy of "Rocky's Boots" to attempt some of those unsolvable puzzles. Still to this day I'd give $20 to anybody that can solve the last puzzle...

JoeW

Steve Huminski,<br />I believe that may have been the game's name. It was a long time ago though.<br /><br />Unicorn,<br />That's nothing! The first computer I got to work on used vacum tubes.

matthews_jim

Petty Officer 2nd Class

STYX!!! I really enjoyed playing STYX. The game didn’t have a ’clock’ and the first time I tried to play the game on an ‘AT’ (6 MHz) rather then a pc/xt (4.77 MHz) it just ran so fast, but was a blast. After I installed an accelerator card and the MHz went to 8 you could not play the play. You would select start and the next thing would be game over. It was like the second generation pong. The first ‘action’ game I got into was Gunship. I worked for Martin Marietta (and still do, now Lockheed Martin) at the time. We were and still do build the TADS/PNVS system (target acquisition designation sight/pilot night vision sensor) for the Apache AH-64 attack helicopter. Several of us would play at lunch. One day someone questioned us as what we were doing. Our answer, debugging the Apache AH64 simulation program!!! He bought it and thought the simulation was very good.