Old Mercury won't pee!

gpfishingdude

Chief Petty Officer
I haven't run the Mercury on my pontoon boat for a few years and it has sat outside. Hooked it up to the muffs and got it running. That is when I found out that it wouldn't pee. I pulled the rubber tube off that goes from the top of the motor and goes out the side and it was clogged up to the top with leaf cuttings and junk. I unclogged it with some wire and stuck it back on. Turned the water on the muffs and ran it again. Not peeing yet. After I shut it off I looked and water was just dripping from the weep hose. How do I unclog without taking the motor apart?

gpfishingdude

Chief Petty Officer
I just watched a youtube where the guy takes the thermostat cover off to see if there is water coming from the lower unit. I will try that tomorrow and maybe work from there.

gpfishingdude

Chief Petty Officer
Found my old posting from 2016 where I had the same problem. I should be able to clear this clog the same way.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Change the impeller while you're at it.

And use the toon more so the bugs don't have time to clog 'er up.

gpfishingdude

Chief Petty Officer
I dug up a can of WD40 that has the flip nozzle and I stuck that straw in as far as it will go as I sprayed. somebody says that might loosen it up. Hope that does it because I always have a can like that in my truck and it would be an easy fix if I got to a lake and it wouldn't pee. I was told in 2016 that my motor doesn't have thermostat. So I can't check that to see if I'm getting water to the upper unit. I have changed the impeller before and I will do it again if I have to.

Last edited:

gpfishingdude

Chief Petty Officer
The WD40 must have done the trick because there is a steady stream of water coming out of the tell tale hole now as soon as I start the motor. So it took a piece of solid strand wire to clear out the hose and then a can of WD40 to clear out the motor. I think I will have those handy from now on.

tpenfield

Staff member
Well, it is often harder to pee as you get older . . . :D 🤪

Glad you got it sorted out. (y)

Robroy71105

Recruit
I haven't run the Mercury on my pontoon boat for a few years and it has sat outside. Hooked it up to the muffs and got it running. That is when I found out that it wouldn't pee. I pulled the rubber tube off that goes from the top of the motor and goes out the side and it was clogged up to the top with leaf cuttings and junk. I unclogged it with some wire and stuck it back on. Turned the water on the muffs and ran it again. Not peeing yet. After I shut it off I looked and water was just dripping from the weep hose. How do I unclog without taking the motor apart?
I have a mercury 150 same problem let it run 2 minutes it will pee if it doesn’t pee in 2 minutes then it’s the pump I put it all on the line to answer this question