Old Lund with only 4-digit serial number

tbayav8er

Cadet
Hi Everyone, I have an old 16' Lund that is now in Canada. Originally from the US. On the serial number plate, it just says "manufactured by lund boat company....and a serial number "1970"....There's also no plate indicating the maximum load weight, maximum people allowed on board etc. Any idea what this means? How old it might be? Thanks!

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I would presume it is a 1970 and it may(probably) does not have a hin number on it, I know a lot of boats didn't before a certain date here in the states, you will probably have to license as a home made boat depending on your location, but I would get a hold of your license authority and check with them on how to go about it.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
should be able to register it just fine with a pre-HIN serial number. your providence in Canada may assign a Canadian HIN

as for the max load/people, in lieu of a capacity tag, look at the USCG calculations (same as international maritime law)

CrazyFinn

Petty Officer 1st Class
Probably means it’s a 1970. Back then no serials were needed.

In Ontario, if you run a 9.9 or less, you don’t even have to license it. Anything bigger, you just need a bill of sale from previous owner, a side picture of the boat, license it online. Easy, free, you will have the license by email in a couple of days. No HIN or serial needed.