Old Larson Boat parts.

zed2500

Cadet
Afternoon all, This is my first post and I am hoping that someone out there can help me find some replacement parts. I have a 14' Larson Aluminum boat from around the 53-56 era. It looks very similar to this one http://www.theclassicboathouse.com/larsonalum50.html, however it doesn't have a windshield, and the bow cover is aluminum. The parts I am looking for are the rear corner caps. I have looked around online, and am coming up empty. Any help you can provide would be awesome.

Thanks,
Zed

CATransplant

Admiral
Re: Old Larson Boat parts.

Those cast braces are going to be a tough nut to crack. Your best bet will be to find another boat of that model with good braces. I assume you're looking for exact replacements, with the cast-in lettering and all that.

There doesn't seem to be much of a market in used aluminum boat parts. Mostly, busted boats end up being recycled for the aluminum. In fact, small aluminum boats get stolen around here by metal thieves, just for that reason.

One thing you might think about, if it's worth it to you, is to find a foundry that casts aluminum. Think artists and that sort of thing. Given your current brackets, in whatever condition, they might be able to use them, repaired with another material, as models and cast you some new ones. That would be, I'm afraid, pretty darned expensive, though.

Otherwise, start searching Ebay and Craig's list pages all over the country, looking for another copy of your boat.

CATransplant

Admiral

More info:

Here's a list of foundries that do one-off castings for artists. Not all handle aluminum, but the ones that do list it in the short description. You might be able to find one near you and go visit it.

All of that is assuming that you have the old pieces in hand.

http://www.sculpt.com/links/foundry/linksfndry.html

Artists' foundries are familiar with unusual requests, and are willing to work with you.

reelfishin

Captain

The foundry idea would only work if he had a set of good originals to copy. Most likely if he had those, he wouldn't be looking for new ones. There's a chance they can make a mold from broken pieces if they can be pieced back together enough to make a rough mold.

If you have broken parts, maybe your best bet is to have them welded up and then reshaped. I've done this with a few of those type corners before.
Being that you boat is from the 50's I'd say chances of finding good used will be pretty slim. I've been looking for a set for a 1970's Starcraft for a few years now and have had no luck, as well as a bow casting for a newer 1980's Starcraft. So many got scrapped when aluminum was high last year.
I can't count how many boats I saw at the scrap yard being crushed.

zed2500

Cadet

Thanks for the advice fella's. The caps I have are in ok shape. One of them however has a small piece broken on the side. It doesn't really effect the functionality of them, but just thought it would be nice to replace them. I probably wouldn't even be wasting my time with this boat, but it was my great grandfathers and it was just handed down to me. The boat hasn't seen water in the last 11 years and only once in the past 20. I took it out a couple of weeks ago and she doesn't leak anywhere! I was amazed. Anyway thank you for your advice.

Zed

CATransplant

Admiral

The foundry idea would only work if he had a set of good originals to copy.

Well, it would be possible to fabricate patches for missing pieces from existing stuff. They don't have to be aluminum to make a mold. A lot of work, of course, and the foundry's gonna charge more than the whole boat is worth, I'm sure, for making the mold and doing the pour.

Since the OP says that he just has a broken, non-functional bit on one of them, I suppose it's all moot anyhow.

CATransplant

Admiral

Thanks for the advice fella's. The caps I have are in ok shape. One of them however has a small piece broken on the side. It doesn't really effect the functionality of them, but just thought it would be nice to replace them. I probably wouldn't even be wasting my time with this boat, but it was my great grandfathers and it was just handed down to me. The boat hasn't seen water in the last 11 years and only once in the past 20. I took it out a couple of weeks ago and she doesn't leak anywhere! I was amazed. Anyway thank you for your advice.

Zed

It probably wouldn't make any sense to put out the money, then. Just think of it as a battle scar. :D

There's a 1953 example of your boat over on eBay right now...no bids, but a starting price of $425, if you want to have a look at it. There are even photos of the braces. Just for information...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/14-L...808563QQitemZ270352808563QQptZFishingQ5fBoats

tj smet

Recruit

EDIT: Please read the posting guidelines.

Last edited by a moderator: