Old Glasspar boat

Kevinnowels

Cadet
IMG_7008.jpegHey all , new here. Just picked up a boat for free. Trying to figure out the year . I think it’s a 70s model . It’s a tri hull Glasspar cutlass from what I know the boat says on it. It has a 65hp 1968 Johnson on it. There is no HIN plate just the plate in the pictures. If anyone can help me out.

Attachments

• IMG_7031.jpeg
    IMG_7031.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_7005.jpeg
    IMG_7005.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 19

matt167

Captain
Made before HIN was standard. 1972 or older if memory serves.

A boat without paperwork is a hassle or impossible depending on state. The boat likely is going to need transom, deck, stringers and although there’s a good chance the motor will run. It too is going to need to be gone through and have an impeller installed…. The windshield says she’s been rotted for a long time

roffey

Commander
That plate looks like a HIN to me? I found this on another web site.. not sure if I can post the link here,,, but here goes...

Kevinnowels

Cadet
The transom is in good shape it’s pretty solid. No holes in the hull. I am going to go through the motor or have a buddy of mine do it after I try and tackle the boat. Thank you for letting me know . From pictures online I was thinking a 69’ cutlass

Kevinnowels

Cadet
That plate looks like a HIN to me? I found this on another web site.. not sure if I can post the link here,,, but here goes...
I’ll have to measure the boat exactly to go off the chart on that link. Would the serial number on that plate be the HIN ? Doesn’t seem long enough

southkogs

Staff member
That's a serial number on the plate, not a HIN.

This LINK has some stuff on the '69 Glaspar Cutlass 18 - looks really similar. // I agree with Matt, you've got some rot issues in the bones of that boat.

Welcome aboard.

Kevinnowels

Cadet
That's a serial number on the plate, not a HIN.

This LINK has some stuff on the '69 Glaspar Cutlass 18 - looks really similar. // I agree with Matt, you've got some rot issues in the bones of that boat.

Welcome aboard.
Thank you . I do think it is a 69’ cutlass. With that being said it wouldn’t have an HIN plate correct? If it’s a 69’ ? I’m going to go through the whole boat. If anything the trailer will be a good rehab

southkogs

Staff member
Correct. No HIN on a boat that old.

I can't recall for sure, but I think Tennessee treated my serial number on my old boats like a HIN for registration purposes. Not sure what your state requires.

Kevinnowels

Cadet
Correct. No HIN on a boat that old.

I can't recall for sure, but I think Tennessee treated my serial number on my old boats like a HIN for registration purposes. Not sure what your state requires.
I’m in North Carolina, just got off the phone with wildlife resources everything should be good to go with registration transfer. It is indeed a 1969 Glasspar cutlass. Someone put the original registration # out of New York as the HIN number and it stuck with it ever since. They told me to roll with it and send them my bill of sale and a VL-1 form

roffey

Commander
Sounds like your golden, now comes the hard part, lol. Break out the soap and wash cloth and see what you have. Keep us posted.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
that sagging windshield frame says the stringers, transom and floor are rotten. plan on a full restoration

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
View attachment 396021Hey all , new here. Just picked up a boat for free. Trying to figure out the year . I think it’s a 70s model . It’s a tri hull Glasspar cutlass from what I know the boat says on it. It has a 65hp 1968 Johnson on it. There is no HIN plate just the plate in the pictures. If anyone can help me out.
Free boats are usually worth a lot less than what you paid for it.

By the looks of it, the previous owner made a good deal because he avoided the cost of disposal.

Just be aware that what you will spend to make it seaworthy will be more than it is worth.

matt167

Captain
Free boats are usually worth a lot less than what you paid for it.

By the looks of it, the previous owner made a good deal because he avoided the cost of disposal.

Just be aware that what you will spend to make it seaworthy will be more than it is worth.
Value of the mechanicals + the trailer value minus the dump fee are all such boats are worth