Old Engine New Plastic "Baloon" Tank Problems

pdeal

Cadet
Man I HATE plastic gas tanks! I got this old free boat and it has a '70's Mercury 70hp engine on it. I've posted a few times with various questions on fixing it. Maybe this ought to be in another forum since it's more tank related than Mercury related but I wasn't sure so sorry if so.

Anyway, the boat had some old plastic tanks in it. Seemed like the thing to do to replace the tank so I bought a new Moeller 6gal tank. This thing baloons up in the sun, yesterday I found even with the floats in the carbs sealed it still weeps out of the overflow when the sun hits the tank. What to do?

I have a machine shop. I'm tempted to take the stupid cap off and remove the vent valve, which is only a vacuum breaker, and make my own vent. I do see caps for sale that supposedly have vents in them but maybe these are the same? Not sure.

pdeal

Cadet
I have been cracking the lid. That's not a good fix. Got to remember to crack it/tighten it when moving so it doesn’t spill.

As far as the scuba regulator for the fuel line that's a stupid solution too. That solves the problem of the engine belching gas all over the place but still the tank turns into a baloon.

I'll just crack the cap until I can get around to modifying my tank cap somehow.

Last edited: