Old Deep V Aluminum Boat Project

IowaFan

Cadet
Hello all,

First timer here all the way around....I just bought an old aluminum 14 ft deep V boat for $200 yesterday that I am going to clean up and put flooring/ decking in to make it a nice fishing rig. My first problem is that I cannot tell what make, model or year this V bottom is, there are no plates or serial # on it any where? The previous owner never registered it. Take a look at my pics, can anyone tell what the approx year and make of this V bottom? It would be nice to know the weight capacity before I get to the flooring.

The boat is plenty wide for me the the kids.Just a little over 60 inches wide and a 14 ft long. It only has 2 bench seats, in the back and middle. The bow is wide open. It doesn't look like there was ever a bench seat in the front, but I could be wrong. I just don't see holes or rivets in the front to indicate there were bench seats there. The transom board needs replaced. I haven't checked it to see if its sea worthy yet. I was thinking about taking it to the local lake to to test for leaks..or filling it with water...any recommendations either way to test for leaks?

Thanks for any advice or suggestions. This forum is really awesome.

IowaFan

Attachments

• IMG00566-20110804-0754.jpg
    IMG00566-20110804-0754.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG00567-20110804-0755.jpg
    IMG00567-20110804-0755.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG00563-20110804-0754.jpg
    IMG00563-20110804-0754.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG00559-20110804-0751.jpg
    IMG00559-20110804-0751.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG00565-20110804-0754.jpg
    IMG00565-20110804-0754.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 0

Huron Angler

Admiral
Re: Old Deep V Aluminum Boat Project

Welcome to iboats IowaFan:)

Nice old boat there, looks to be early 60s based on the rounded bottom and stern.

Not sure who might have built it, doesn't quite look like a Starcraft but similar.

Very likely that it had a covered bow originally, hence no bench seat.

I see what look like loops for the old school cable/pulley steering systems, and that makes me think that it had a dash board and helm originally.

I'd order some Gluvit from iboats and seal up the interior seams and rivets to prevent leaks.

Good luck with the boat!

sublauxation

Lieutenant

You'll probably get better results testing for a leak with the boat on the water and some weight in it, you'll find them instantly vs waiting for it to trickle out in the driveway. First thing I would do is re-evaluate your trailer. The pics may be deceiving but it looks like the very back transom area is un supported.

IowaFan

Cadet

Hey guys,

Thanks for the reply. I take it out on the water Sat afternoon to test it. The transom has a bunch of bolts through it to hold the wood in place. They look like the wrong type of bolts with the knobby heads. i haven't quite analyzed how I'm going to get that old plywood off without removing rivets. I really don't want to mess with the rivets.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

The paint on the inside and outside may be an indicator that you have a leaker. I would strip it down to bare aluminum on the inside and out and then take it to the lake to see what happens. If she leaks take it home and put water in it to locate the leaks. Replace all leaking rivets and then apply the Gluvit.

I noticed what looks like bolts sticking out of the starboard in the third pic? if so, those should be swapped out for rivets.

Since that's just a 14 footer I strongly suggest you do any framing out of aluminum for weight reasons. I also recommend you install floatation under your deck for safety purposes.

She'll be a fun boat for you and the kids when you get her all fixed up!

Tahorover

Chief Petty Officer

A deep V hull will have more than 16 degrees deadrise at the transom. You look to have 3 to 4 degrees.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Hey guys,

i haven't quite analyzed how I'm going to get that old plywood off without removing rivets. I really don't want to mess with the rivets.

Don't be afraid of rivets, rivets are your friend!... and if you're going to have an old riveted boat you might as well learn how to work with them.

Here's a good vid that shows an easy way to replace and install new rivets.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0MA1-5NXjs&feature=related

IowaFan

Cadet

What should I use to strip that old paint off on the inside and outside? You are correct, there are two little bolts sticking out, not sure why, maybe to just fill the holes right there. Those are the only two holes on the side. The alum framing would be nice, but I'm not sure how to do alum framing. What do you need to do something like that? A welder? I've see some videos of wood framing, that I'm pretty sure I can handle when I get to that stage.

IowaFan

Cadet

Thanks for the rivets link, it looks pretty easy. Where should I go to get alum framing for this type of project? Should I use a paint stripper from a home improvement store to get all that paint off? Whats the easiest way to get it all off? Thanks.

IowaFan

Cadet

Oh, ok. I guess it's not a deep V, ..It just has some deeper sides than what I'm use to in the past. Thanks for the information.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Thanks for the rivets link, it looks pretty easy. Where should I go to get alum framing for this type of project? Should I use a paint stripper from a home improvement store to get all that paint off? Whats the easiest way to get it all off? Thanks.

Go to a scrap yard or recycling center for the aluminum, you can use 1 1/2 x 1 1/2" angle about 1/16" thick.

A lot of people use elbow grease and a wire cup brush on an angle grinder to remove the paint, they also make other paint stripping tools for drills and such.

For a chemical stripper I use Citrustrip, it's made from oranges with no noxious fumes and isn't flammable so you can use it indoors if you want. You can buy this stuff at Wal-Mart in the paint section.

IowaFan

Cadet

Okay, I'll check into it. I'm sure I'll have more questions later..thanks a bunch for your help!

Huron Angler

Admiral

x2 on Citristrip, check out my Starcraft thread if you want to see it in action.

It's a great product and works quickly.

I also agree that you will want to familiarize yourself with rivets.

They are easy to drill out and replace, $20 hand rivet tool will get you started.:)

IowaFan

Cadet

hey guys,

I got the old wood transom out of this old v. i'll send some pics when i have time. It was a bastard to get out. As you can see in the pic, there are two metal braces at the floor, that are also bolted to the transom. After i took all the bolts out, it was so darn tight still, that i had to cut the wood transom in pieces to get it out. There are actually two 3/4 in. boards, the outer one I cut it into pieces and removed it, it gave me more room to just pull the 2nd board out which I'll use as the template. There was also a metal plate that as you can see in the pic, that ran across the top horizontally, with wood screws through it- it was easy to remove. When i got it off, I could see that there was a metal lip that curved in/ downward toward the floor that held the wood in place. That made pulling the old boards up and out almost impossible because I had a heck of time clearing the lip. I just pray that the new boards go in a lot easier. I bought some rivets and a rivet tool and tested one rivet. It works nicely, but the other end of the rivet is sticking out about 5 mm. Is it okay to smash it flat on that side?

Huron- nice work on your projects. That's awesome work.