Old cable/pulley steering

trek2300

Recruit
Re: Old cable/pulley steering

Thanks for all your help. It went pretty smooth except the new cable unwound from the hub the first try then I forgot to run the top cable through the front pulley on the second. Third time was a charm. Now on to some electrical issues and shifter/throttle problems.

The shifter takes about 600# of force to go through the gears. Does it shift MUCH, MUCH easier when the engine is running? There is quite a lot of extra shift cable, so much that it goes under the back seat then up to the engine. Does having some extra make it tougher to shift?

The throttle also takes a lot of effort to move. There is also a lot of extra throttle cable. It looks like whoever put the last throttle and shifter cables on it used cable for a longer boat. Also, should these cables be anchored anywhere. They are only anchored where they hook into the "clips". If needed, I can post some pics. I really appreciate your help!

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

cables should not have any sharp turns, and the fewer the better. it they are old cable they may be on there last leg. did they shift easily before connecting to the motor?

trek2300

Recruit

cables should not have any sharp turns, and the fewer the better. it they are old cable they may be on there last leg. did they shift easily before connecting to the motor?

No sharp turns but definately quite long. The throttle cable is really tough but the tller handle is still there too, it's flipped up. Does that make a difference? The shifter is tough too but wondering if it's easier when the engine's running.

Also, how do I find the ID number on the engine. It's an 18 hp Seahorse.

pillazilla

Cadet

where can i get a drum steering wheel or at least the drum part

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Try the free classifieds at www.aomci.org
This an old thread...next time remember to start a new one, quicker answers that way.