old bayliner Santiago new to me

riverrat1961

Cadet
1979 Bayliner Santiago with volvo penta 280 and a 305 engine. I know this sounds like a stupid question but I can not find a dip stick. Please no dip stick comments! Any hints?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: old bayliner Santiago new to me

Should be between the exhaust manifold and valve cover on the starboard side.

riverrat1961

Cadet

I have searched for the dipstick and there is not a dipstick on the starboard side. Is it possible there is some other way to check oil on this engine?

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Port side between the exhaust manifold and the rocker arm cover. About 2/3 of the way from the front.

Don S

Port side between the exhaust manifold and the rocker arm cover. About 2/3 of the way from the front.

I agree, I remember it on my engine on a previous boat as being on the starboard side, actually looked through some old photos of my engine and sure enough, port side.

Dipstick.jpg

riverrat1961

Cadet

I agree, I remember it on my engine on a previous boat as being on the starboard side, actually looked through some old photos of my engine and sure enough, port side.

View attachment 183012

Ok I found a tube that sits below the exhaust manifold and has a cap on it. The cap is about an inch in diameter. Problem is I can not get my big paw between the dog house and the manifold. I'm guessing this is the dipstick. I looked up a photo of AQ200D and it shows the dip stick in this area. Looks like a really poor and unacessable area. I can attach a photo if that would help. The picture is a big help but my engine does not have a dipstick that looks like the picture Thanks

Don S

Yes, post your picture.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Since it's an older boat??? Who knows what modifications have been done????
Take a look at the bottom of the oil pan and see if the drain plug has been changed to a different type.
I've seen where someone removed the dip stick and just plugged the hole.
I guess he figured changing oil every year was ok and he didn't need to check between changes??
I replaced it. Also there are 2 styles of dip stick that they used. Yes post a closeup pic of the motor.

riverrat1961

Cadet

Ok mistery solved. Someone in the past broke off the dipstick and replaced the handle with an aftermarket top shaped like a piston. Note picture. What looked like a cap was the piston, on what was left of the dipstick. Thanks for the help everyone!