Old 13' Chrysler Fiberglass Bass Boat restore - Need fiberglass floor help.

bumrunner

Seaman
I am attempting to rebuild this oldie and not goodie back into a goodie. I pulled up the carpet that was in there and realized that the wood flooring underneath the top level of fiberglass was almost all rotten away. I removed the top layer of fiberglass and have removed most of the rotten wood leaving me with a only a layer of fiberglass left and then the old gel coat. Some of the fiberglass on the bottom is old and or very thin to the gelcoat (Gelcoat is ok and no holes).
I would like to put a couple of layers of new fiberglass on top of the old to give it some stength back but have no idea how to do this, where to get the materials, etc? Any info would be appreciated!

After that is complete, I need to add a new wood floor back in and seal it somehow. I know there is marine grade plywood out there, but should I still seal it (Some sort of resin, or fiberglass?) Are there other alternatives I do not know about? Any ideas would be appreciated.

Attachments

• boat repair2.jpg
    boat repair2.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 1

rickryder

Commander
Re: Old 13' Chrysler Fiberglass Bass Boat restore - Need fiberglass floor help.

Hi Bumrunner,
So you pulled up your deck and want to replace whats bad....OK first you have to remove everything thats rotten
Dose your boat have stringers encased in fiberglass? If so you will need to see if water got into them
Next you have to look at your transom to see if that has rot.
Post some pictures of what you have after all the debris is removed so we can recomend what repairs you need to do to make the boat safe.
I use uscompsites.com for my glass and resin needs.
Your deck can be made from exterior grade plywood coated with fiberglass and resin to seal it up and attach it back to the hull at the gunnels.
Hope this info gives you some idea of the task ahead.