Okuma reels

Shinchan

Recruit
Does anyone have an opinion about Okuma trolling reels? They seem to be a cheaper alterative to Penn Internationals or the Shimanos but I don't know how well they perform. Thanks for any info.

bigbo

Recruit
Re: Okuma reels

I have a couple in my lineup now (one spinning and one conventional). Overall i'm very happy with their performance. I think they are a very good quality reel for the money. I still think my Penn's and Fin-Nor's will outlast them. But on the flip side, if someone else is with me using my equipment, I don't have to worry so much about the abuse. They've gotten banged around and seem some good use on some fairly good size fish in the year since I made the purchases and they still look as good as new. Just a wash down after each trip out to remove the salt and a periodic greasing and we're good to go!

Ross J

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I have a TD80 I think thats what it is. I use it for tuna, marlin, and any big bottom fishing over 200 metres deep. I have had exceptional service from it since my 35th birthday when I bought it combined with a stand up 37kg rod.<br />This has caught big fish and with little more than the usual cleaning has been reliable. I have mates that when on the water won't let a skipper put down my "cheapie Reel".<br />Someone told me they are the Korean copy of the big Penn reels.<br />Last year this reel pulled up double headers of Bigeye (over 30kg each) from 400 metres plus. Believe me if it was going to fail, that would be the time to do it.<br />Likewise it regurarly catches kingfish around the Waitemata, it seems a natural with a live bait on the working end.<br />Besides at the price you could buy two for one Penn reel!<br />Ross

philtheskipper

Petty Officer 1st Class

I use 4 of their line counter reels for great lake trolling. They work great!

tmyers921

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That Convector 45 is the BOMB!!

I love that reel.

I bought a Dawia Sealine 20 and paid $120 for it and I bought this Convector for $55 at Gander Mountain.

The Okuma,,,,i my opinion,,,,,,,out cast,reels and performs better than the Dawia. It holds alott more line too!

I love it when I hear the "ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ"!!!!!!

WHAT A REEL!

CHECK THIS OUT!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IecSeERgoI&feature=related

sturdavj

Petty Officer 1st Class

Does anyone know if Okuma makes a quality small reel, say 6>10 LB trout size line. Would be used for dragging around gang trolls.

If so what number might it be?

fishrdan

Admiral

I've "heard" the Alumina and Epixor spinning reels are really nice, but haven't used them. I only use spinning gear 1-2 times a year and I break out the old Diawa's and Shimano's.

I bought 2 Okuma Induron's ($70/ea) last year while looking for new striper baicasting reels, the other options Penn, Daiwa, Shimano,,, $200-300. I'm happy to report that the reels have worked great, cast like a dream and nice drag system. I do get the occasional backlash when I'm not paying attention, but I can't fault the reel since I'm running the spool very loose,,, on the ragged edge of backlashing to increase casting distance. For the price, the other manufacturer's had nothing close to the quality.

Would I have been happier with the Penn, Daiwa, Shimano? Probably,,, but not $150 happier.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

I have 5 or 6 and for the money they work great, no complaints. I have better reels but they cost far more and the Okumas get used more often.

You'll need to check to get the current line up of reels, they add more styles and grades all the time.

bugman1964

Seaman Apprentice

This past spring I purchased 2 okuma classic reels on-line for less than $25 a piece and then found 2 8' okuma pro classic trolling rods on-line for less than $25. 2 trolling rods and reels for less than $50 each. They worked very well for trolling leadcore line for lake trout and salmon. I'd buy more if I had room to troll with them.

tmyers921

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Those intern. are GREAT REELS,,,but who can afford a $400-$500 Reel in todays world?

My Okuma and Sealine has never failes me Yet,,,,,,,,key word there,,,,,,,,

Shoot,,,,,,,,I only paid $2500 for my boat.

bobo1

Seaman Apprentice

I bought an Okuma CL 452L several months back At Sportsman's Warehouse for $35 + tax. Sure its got a lot of plastic, but it is a great reel. I've got 100 yards of 15# lead core on it...Bob

Mark_VTfisherman

Lieutenant

Okuma's offshore reels are not in the same league as the Internationals and Tiagras. Take a look at the Avets as well.

Like sturdavj said, they work well for the money. My rod, reel, backer, and 100yds of leadcore cost well under $100.

I have an Okuma Magda Pro. Had a little trouble this fall with my line counter at 17 degrees F, but after it got above 33 it worked fine again. Must have had a little moisture in it.

Basically, I love the reel and rod and plan to buy another to have two leadcore rigs.

I have several Okuma spinning reels as well. They are the "Avenger" series, an AV15 and two AV20's. They are dreamy smooth to reel in for a reel in their price range- has multiple ball bearings but the bails on the AV20 hang the line and won't cast without manually plucking the line off the 90 degree bail bend. I wrote their customer service dept an email, and two weeks later I got reply with boiler plate telling me they cared. That was almost three months ago, and nothing sense. I emailed again and no response. They may care but they don't care a lot ;) which might match up with the price!

But I will buy another Magda for sure.

tmyers921

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I honestly believe that a good Reel is the one that the Angler feels is the best for them.

Did you ever read the story about the guy who caught a rather LARGE fish with his daughters BARBIE Reel?

Although the cost of a reel can be high for the better built Reels,,,,,,,,,,,it really is how well the Angler can use what they have....

It's funny,,,,I have all kinds of reels that cost low to high and the funny thing is MY WIFE won't use anything but this cheap old Shakespere,,,,,,,,,,,,,she out fishes me 2 to 1. I keep buying her nicier reels,,,but she won't use them. She says I need to SPIT on my bait!! Ha!!! it works for her!:eek:

Mark_VTfisherman

Lieutenant

I honestly believe that a good Reel is the one that the Angler feels is the best for them.

I might buy the best lures, and better quality line, but you are right- using familiar equipment that works is often the key. Like the question of what's the best gun to use for deer hunting: the one you shoot well.

scipper77

Commander

I might buy the best lures, and better quality line, but you are right- using familiar equipment that works is often the key. Like the question of what's the best gun to use for deer hunting: the one you shoot well.

I have to disagree wholeheartedly. The most important feature of any reel is the drag system. If the drag is not smooth you will need heavier line to avoid a breakoff.

You do not have to spend a ton of cash on a reel to get a good drag setup

When you pay more for a reel you are hoping to get a reel that is stronger, lighter, and/or more durable. None of these things will directly effect your ability to catch a fish (debatable!?!). But if you have a herky jerky drag system, or one that does not stay consistent you will loose fish.

P.S. Am I the only one who noticed that this is a thread started in 2002?

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

[P.S. Am I the only one who noticed that this is a thread started in 2002?[/QUOTE]

Looks to be that way.

fishrdan

Admiral

The most important feature of any reel is the drag system.

P.S. Am I the only one who noticed that this is a thread started in 2002?

Totally agree, you don't have to spend top dollar to get a smooth drag, but it's very important. I ditched a bunch of older reels recently because their drags weren't as smooth as I liked, even when new...

What I find funny is people saying you have to have the most expensive widget, and then some guy comes along with the cheapest widget ever made and spanks everyone with the expensive widgets. A lot of times it's not the equipment, but the person, their skills and talents...

Yeah I saw the 02 thing also, but what they hey, I might as well get in my $.02 if someone drug it out of the crypt... :D

scipper77

Commander

Yeah I saw the 02 thing also, but what they hey, I might as well get in my $.02 if someone drug it out of the crypt... :D

I don't care about the '02 thing either. Fishing is my thing! I wish there were more threads like this on this site.

I think I'll start a thread or 2 about some topics that are of interest to me in the freshwater fishing forum.