• Poll closed .

rentprop1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Ok the strap win's but why?

strap will not splinter, cut you or kink up

Thad

Lieutenant Junior Grade

The strap on my trailer is a replacement. For the sole reason that I did not like the color of the one that came on it. That one ins now on my fishing boat. Both the strap that came with and the new strap reach the end of my trailer with more to go. My trailer is 24' long. Obviously, I had to cut some off of the one I put on my 14' fishing boat trailer.
In six years of use, niether have ever folded over, frayed or shown any wear.
If you put the strap on the spool properly the first time, IMO, never will you or should you ever have an issue. The sides of my straps are just as clean and straight as the day I put them on.:D
A strap can be installed improperly, thus leading to the above mentioned problems, ie; fold over, sides wearing/fraying, as well as improper use can lead to "snapping" in some instances.
I do agree that if you have a large boat, a cable could be a better choice due to the higher tinsel strength, but with that comes higher potential for injury. And when I say large, I'm not talking about a 24' or 26' bow rider, I'm talking BIG as in 30'+ cruisers and go-fast boats.

But as far as MY take on this pole and my idea of the majority of boats owned by the members, STRAP all the way baby:D.

HAV2FISH

Chief Petty Officer

I like the strap. If it breaks it easier to feed it back through the eye of your clip and wind it back up on it self. Its harder to do that with cable or rope.

BBK1

Cadet

Unless you've ever guided a winch "cable" without leather gloves on and been stuck or cut by a frayed cable you would not understand why your poll is meaningless.

I agree 100%