Ok Getting ready to rehab my Spectrum Some ????s

jackd1023

Petty Officer 1st Class
The time has come..... TINNY Floor getting soft, temp repairs to get me though winter fishing failing UGGGG!!
1996 Spectrum 1800 sport...

Here is the issue before I start ripping into it, My garage is full of quads, waverunners, tools, golf cart Admirals Xmas crap and Admirals car..... So this has to be a quick turn around here

Sooooo I am trying to get materials in order. I have 5/8ths plywood(freebie/floor), some aluminum stock(casting deck frames)

Questions..... floatation, I know thats a wait and see thing,

Floor covering carpet, vinyl, paint.This is my fishing boat..so guts.. hooks...BUT lots of rain, cold sometimes snow....CANNOT be slick...

I have a layout figured out , basic materials, I am stumped on one thing (so far)

TRANSOM>>>>>>>>> The cap is welded on... How in the heck am I supposed to change this???

Attachments

• photo(1).JPG
    photo(1).JPG
    93.6 KB · Views: 2
  • photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    93.5 KB · Views: 2
  • photo(2).JPG
    photo(2).JPG
    85.4 KB · Views: 2

GWPSR

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Ok Getting ready to rehab my Spectrum Some ????s

It looks like the original transom cap was cut, the transom height lowered for a short-shaft motor, and the open portions filled in and welded. The horizontal sections appear to be the original cap cut into three sections.

The best bet would be to cut or grind the weld away, and have two new pieces fabricated to replace the welded in areas when you finish. You'd either screw them into the transom the same as the existing horizontal pieces, or have someone weld them together. Probably better off leaving all 5 pieces separate however and sealing them where they meet with sealant.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I hope your freebie plywood is exterior grade. To seal it, your options are: fiberglass, epoxy resin, marine spar varnish, paint (ordered from best to less best). I'm a BIG fan of my marine vinyl floor. It is very non-slip. For flotation, I think I'd go the sheet foam route (extruded polystyrene: pink, blue, or green - same thing. NOT expanded)

Got some pics of the whole boat?

jackd1023

Petty Officer 1st Class

It looks like the original transom cap was cut, the transom height lowered for a short-shaft motor, and the open portions filled in and welded. The horizontal sections appear to be the original cap cut into three sections.

The best bet would be to cut or grind the weld away, and have two new pieces fabricated to replace the welded in areas when you finish. You'd either screw them into the transom the same as the existing horizontal pieces, or have someone weld them together. Probably better off leaving all 5 pieces separate however and sealing them where they meet with sealant.

Thanks, the hull is all welded, no rivets and that is factory work there. I will get some more pictures soon.

jackd1023

Petty Officer 1st Class

Looks like I have a place to do this that it will not be so rushed, I may owe a couple of fishing trips but whatever works right>>

Anyone else have any idea on that transom?? At my shop I do have a break and a few welders but just want to know if anyone has dealt with this before? The inner transom is 1 piece with the splash well and it rolls over the transom and is welded (seems like a weird design)
I cannot move the boat in until the 28th then I have a few weeks and a few helpers. Just want to be as prepared as possible

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander

No idea what I would do with the welded transom,...

Just tagging along to see how it goes,............

64osby

Admiral

The cap is welded on... How in the heck am I supposed to change this???

Cut and grind the cap off

At my shop I do have a break and a few welders

Sounds like you have the right stuff to make a new cap. Attach with screws, bolts or weld.

Have fun and take lots of pictures for us.:)

katfish2123

Cadet

Any updates on how this went? Or is going? I am in the same predicament with a 1991 spectrum 1706. Completely rotted out.

jackd1023

Petty Officer 1st Class

Okay, life got in the way...... Pulled out seats, trying my hand at sewing......
will post some pics tonight!!

jackd1023

Petty Officer 1st Class

Okay, finally after a long cold winter, started tearing into the boat last night will load some pics as soon as I can

greenbush future

Lieutenant Commander

Looks like I have a place to do this that it will not be so rushed, I may owe a couple of fishing trips but whatever works right>>

Anyone else have any idea on that transom?? At my shop I do have a break and a few welders but just want to know if anyone has dealt with this before? The inner transom is 1 piece with the splash well and it rolls over the transom and is welded (seems like a weird design)
I cannot move the boat in until the 28th then I have a few weeks and a few helpers. Just want to be as prepared as possible

I own the same year and model I think, my Spectrum is welded too, but the transom I think is shaped different, so you might have a modified one. I would grind the weld, and entire cap of the transom off, and replace it with a custom fabbed cap that you can remove, if need be. How do you know the transom even needs to be replaced? Mine is fine.
I have a 90 Merc 2 stroke from the factory, but it is a 97 year outboard on a 96 model boat.I will be going through my boat eventually too, carpet, floors, hatch covers in back. The boat is made IMO cheap, and it's not gonna be the easiest to spruce up, but I love the style of the hull, it works great on the great lakes here in Michigan. Troll salmon, jig walleyes in the Detroit river, or just head out boating for the day with the lady.
What kind of power are you running on yours? The seat covers look really nice, if you want to make more let me know, I need the entire bow area replaced on mine too. I plan to replace the pedestal seats, with a bit nicer type. Pictures, keep em coming please.

jackd1023

Petty Officer 1st Class

I own the same year and model I think, my Spectrum is welded too, but the transom I think is shaped different, so you might have a modified one. I would grind the weld, and entire cap of the transom off, and replace it with a custom fabbed cap that you can remove, if need be. How do you know the transom even needs to be replaced? Mine is fine.
I have a 90 Merc 2 stroke from the factory, but it is a 97 year outboard on a 96 model boat.I will be going through my boat eventually too, carpet, floors, hatch covers in back. The boat is made IMO cheap, and it's not gonna be the easiest to spruce up, but I love the style of the hull, it works great on the great lakes here in Michigan. Troll salmon, jig walleyes in the Detroit river, or just head out boating for the day with the lady.
What kind of power are you running on yours? The seat covers look really nice, if you want to make more let me know, I need the entire bow area replaced on mine too. I plan to replace the pedestal seats, with a bit nicer type. Pictures, keep em coming please.

To be honest, I dont know about the transom yet should have an answer tomorrow. The boat was FROZEN lol. What I have found so far, The carpet held lots of water, plywood was saturated on the floor. Has pour in foam that is bone dry. Gosh I hate carpet.... Hull is all welded yet all the bulkheads and deck frames are aluminum riveted, Made for a pretty easy deconstruction. Just soggy and wet. Got everything torn out till the last piece of plywood on rear of floor. Back "casting deck" is out. Just was tired of being wet and cold last night did not want to dig anymore. It is powered by an 98 Merc 75 hp with 90 hp Jets .

My plans: Replace floor, Get rid of back to back seats, going to make the casting deck 2' deeper and move the live well to the back. and incorperate fold down seats into the back deck. Have two captains chairs. Extend the front deck past the counsels Put in-floor lockable rod storage in the bow. Re wire I think thats it for now lol

greenbush future

Lieutenant Commander

I had to add a new fuse block on mine too. the dealer actually drilled and mounted a cheap fish finder, the mounting screws went right through the old rusted fuse block. These boats while nice, are thinner alum than my Lund has, but still a very nice ridding boat! Tons of storage, and room for 4 people easy. Mine is currently still under cover, and about 1.5 feet of snow!!

jackd1023

Petty Officer 1st Class

I had to add a new fuse block on mine too. the dealer actually drilled and mounted a cheap fish finder, the mounting screws went right through the old rusted fuse block. These boats while nice, are thinner alum than my Lund has, but still a very nice ridding boat! Tons of storage, and room for 4 people easy. Mine is currently still under cover, and about 1.5 feet of snow!!

The reason mine is so wet is all the snow collapsed the cover.......some day we may see spring lol, pm me if u want some seat covers too

greenbush future

Lieutenant Commander

After I re-read your outboard ID, am I reading this right? you outboard is a jet?

jackd1023

Petty Officer 1st Class

Update: floor is all out, Motor is coming off today. I will also be pulling transom . I am so excited lol will get some pics of deconstruction tonight!

jackd1023

Petty Officer 1st Class

Okay making parts list. I do want Marine grade plywood for floor and transom? And is it acceptable to use spar finish on all the wood?