oil under starter motor

benzico

Cadet
hello, i have a bf115 honda and i removed the starter motor to replace the starter solenoid. the cavity under the starter had loads of engine oil in ! dont think this is normal. any ideas what seal has gone? thanks for any input.:confused:

Flakeys

Seaman
Re: oil under starter motor

I assume you are talking about the cavity where the starter/flywheel engage. It would appear to be the rear main seal or something associated with the oil pump. Any other source of oil around the starter as mounted, should be visible.

benzico

Cadet

hi, thanks for the reply, yes its the cavity under the starter where the fly wheel is. if its the main rear seal can i replace this by lifting the power head only or do i have to split the crankcase and everything else? thanks for your help.

Nick on the Bad Habit

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Honda issued a tech bulletin on the 75/90 motors on this same issue, might want to check it out. It was fixed on mine at no charge.

4stroked

Recruit

The Rear Main oil seal is leaking!!

The power head needs to be removed, then remove the oil pump, this gives you access to the rear main oil seal. It's not an easy job and should be left to a dealer to do.

Garry