Oil Thread

scott&kellie

Seaman Apprentice
two questions:

1. Ok so I'm throwing this out there not really to start an oil thread but to get educated. Since i have a 90hp johnson motor I'd like to swapped the current oil out and start fresh with Evinrude Johnson 2 cycle oil. Is it worth it or is there another brand thats better? The motor has 238 hours on it. what about Synthetic 2-Cycle Oil.

2. does or has anyone used seafoam (http://www.seafoamsales.com/) in their gas? Is that worth it. I do know the gentleman that I bought the boat swears by it, any input is helpful.

lovin life..

scott

5150abf

Vice Admiral
Re: Oil Thread

There are guys tha run the premium oil but most are good with Wal mart brand, big blue bottle, can't recall the name even thouhg I walk past the jug 15 times a day, I used it all last year and had no problems at all, also alot of the guys run synthetic and not many here will say anything bad about Sea Foam, I use that also.

I am sure the oil in the boat is fine and as long as you don't mix synthetic and regular you can mix brands, in the end it is up to you, if you would feel more comfotable running synth then do it but I don't think the engine will care either way.

lncoop

Vice Admiral

I'm with 5150. No need to get too hung up on the brand of your oil as long as it's the right type (should be TCW 3 for that motor I assume). I've always used Quicksilver in my Merc, but that's because the Merc dealer is as close as any other store and I'd rather support them than Wallyworld, et al. I buy it by the gallon and the cost is only negligibly higher. By Seafoam I gather you mean fuel treatment/stabilizer. Some swear by it and some scoff. I'm squarely in the middle. I don't use it during the summer when I'm running two tanks or more every weekend, but if my rig will be sitting up for a month or longer I dump some in the tank. Does it help? Those with much more knowledge than I have (mechanics I've asked) think so, but even if it doesn't, for three bucks a bottle why not? It certainly doesn't hurt, and that's unanimous.;)

bigdee

Commander

Plain & simple....I shop by price usually wally world. As long as it meets specs I am fine. Brand names mean little these days since most companies out source to lowest bidder. Wally world has more of a reputation risk than does the individual consumer.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

I been using the wally 2 stroke oil for 15 plus years with out any sort or a problem. I have tryed the synthetic oils and didn't notice much different except perhaps a bit less smoke and as far as sea foam. I run 2 tanks a main and a reserve the fuel in the main never sits long enough to make any difference, I do treat the reserve just cause. I Started a poll on sea foam use you may want to take a look.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=531149

scott&kellie

Seaman Apprentice

thanks for the info. since this is my first boat just wanted to do it right. thanks again.

scott

scott&kellie

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks everyone on your replies. wallyworld it is. Seafoam I'll probably use on every other tank. thanks again you guys are the best. I love getting all the advice from everyone that's been there and know's what works and what doesn't.

Thanks again

scott