Oil leak on a 40 HP Mariner

Roy B

Recruit
Thread starter
Joined
Apr 12, 2010
Messages
2
I changed oil in the lower unit, after I ran the motor with "muffs" I had a small amount of oil leak out between the lower unit and where the prop fits on. I took the prop off and could see a small amount of very thick oil. Is this a problem? thanks
 

Bondo

Moderator
Staff member
Joined
Apr 17, 2002
Messages
71,535
Re: Oil leak on a 40 HP Mariner

Is this a problem?

Ayuh,... A leaking propshaft seal is most certainly a Problem...
 

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Joined
May 19, 2004
Messages
27,468
Re: Oil leak on a 40 HP Mariner

Ayuh,... A leaking propshaft seal is most certainly a Problem...

And what are you doing playing in our sandbox??? :D:D:D

If the oil leaking out is thick, black and sticky, it's likely to be unburnt 2 stroke oil, not lower unit oil. That's usually caused by using cheap crappy oil that doesn't fully burn off in the combustion chamber.

Chris.......
 
Top