oil in gas tank causing it to run hot?

airframer

Petty Officer 2nd Class
i replaced a 70hp force engine with a 1986 johnson 90. got everything hooked up and took it out the nexy day. little adjustments needed but ran fine for most the time. while out i tilted the motor up and noticed gas coming out of the front. it flooded thus wouldn't idle after that. brought it back, it sat for about two months before i rebuilt carb(i know, shame on me). the carb repack proved it not to leak but when i started it up it was a little tough to get going. once it was running in higher throttle a good amount of smoke came out. i waited for the smoke to stop and brought it back to idle where it coughed alot and would die after a short period. i finally got it to idle without dying and the alarm went off. it was hot, but the water was flowing like a race horse! i let it cool then ran it up again. i put my hand in the stream and felt the temp. it was nice and cold but whenever the engine would cough, it would get hot, then go right back to cold. after five minutes it wouldn't return to cold and the alarm would sound. the force engine was pre mixed fuel and the johnson is a vro(still use oil tank). i'm no expert but i think that i didn't clean the tank out enough. any ideas??? please help i really want to go fishing again

iwombat

Captain
Re: oil in gas tank causing it to run hot?

I think your thermostat needs replacing. The stream is inline before the thermostat, it just tells you if your water pump is healthy.

airframer

Petty Officer 2nd Class

is that hard? i've done a little work on outboards, mainly because of that force.

iwombat

Captain

Y'know. Before we go there. What was the alarm you heard. Are you sure it was the overheat, and not one of the various VRO alarms? I don't have a VRO (or OMS) or any of those. So I'm not familiar with what all the different alarms mean.

If your thermostat is working properly, you should be able to put your hand on the block and count:

ouch!

airframer

Petty Officer 2nd Class

this is my second outboard and first with any kind of alarm. its coming from the control and is a low whinning sound. not too loud and is constant, i was feeling around the cylinder head and i could keep my hand on it for prob about three seconds.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Congrats on not having a Force.

airframer

Petty Officer 2nd Class

yeah i made that mistake. the first time. what a headache

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i thnk the over heat and the no oil are the same sound. when you cleaned the oil tank, did you disconnect the line at the fuel pump, and prime the oil line till you had only oil coming out, with out air bubbles? then reconnect.

all my motors, before 1990, i have disabled the Vro pumps, and premix my gas.

airframer

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i didn't no. it sounds dumb but i just plugged it in to the engine. i didn't think to do that. i took it out after installation and it ran fine. except for a couple lose misc things. would it matter now that its already operated correctly?

airframer

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i noticed the leaking carb when we first took it out. it was after i repacked the carb that this happened. ran it up in my yard with the hose.

airframer

Petty Officer 2nd Class

well as usual the old timers were right. the thermostats were in terrible shape and replacement was pretty easy. what were those springs the white plastic things for? my buddy and i couldn't figure them out:confused:. neither head gasket was blown but i replaced anyway.
it fixed the over heat problem, but the engine had a hard time starting at idle:( and would constantly die in reverse:mad: could it be the vro couching the engine with oil? or maybe i just need to play with the fuel air mixer.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

you may need to set your idle speed stop up a little bit. should idle in gear at 650. you have fixed jets so no adjustment. or dirty low speed jets.