oil change

fastempo

Seaman Apprentice
I am new to this. Just bought 1973, 140hp mercruiser I/O.
How do I change oil without spilling it all inside bilge, with crank-case drain plug so close to bottom of boat. there is no room to place drain bucket under?

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Re: oil change

Howdy,

Youtube is your friend!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bvv7b6jtJwY

This person has a drain hose connected to the pan drain. (like I do)

Most pumps come with fittings that will either connect to your dipstick tube or a plastic tube that will go into the dipstick tube to suck it out.

Cheers,

Rick

Jeepster04

Chief Petty Officer

I am new to this. Just bought 1973, 140hp mercruiser I/O.
How do I change oil without spilling it all inside bilge, with crank-case drain plug so close to bottom of boat. there is no room to place drain bucket under?

Buy an oil extractor and suck it out of the dip stick tube.. Do a search on it..

90stingray

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Here's my idea that i use...use a big ziplock bag to catch the oil. Once it's drained, you can manipulate the bag to get it out of the bilge. Then you are done. Use another to catch the oil filter. I like draining from the oilpan the best... i think it gets the most impurities out this way. Goodluck!

ziggy

Admiral

I like draining from the oilpan the best
some folks don't have that option..

IMG_5056-1.jpg

like me. ya can't even get my drain plug out of the pan w/o raising the ft. of the engine...

i use one of the vacuum extractors down the dip stick tube like seen in that vid by HT32BSX115.. i don't have the screw threads at the top of my dip stick tube so i use the plastic tube down the dip stick tube.
the fluid extractors are very clean too. i didn't spill one drop during my fall oil change..

90stingray

Lieutenant Junior Grade

WOW! I had no idea there were installations where you can't even get the plug out. That's insane. I just thought it was tight and people had a hard time getting under there.

fossill

Chief Petty Officer

Wonder who engineered that installation and design?

BIGALF

Petty Officer 1st Class

Run the engine for awhile before you use the pump. It makes it flow out easier.

ziggy

Admiral

Wonder who engineered that installation and design?
Claud Turner. sole owner of AristoCraft boats (mid 40's-end 1979). atlanta boat works..
here's the boat... http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=369598 1st post..

this is why i have no room under my engine... http://www.aristocraftboats.com/fiberglassbrochures/Incomparable19page4.pdf the inner hull is my sole, my engine mounts to the inner hull. i have no bilge per sey. www.aristocraftboats.com... check out the fiberglass boat brochures under vintage boats. AristoCraft made three, the funliner, the eighteen and the nineteen. mines the nineteen.
i've also found one other item that can't be removed. the top pivot pin of my gimble ring. the transom is curved and blocks any method of drifting the pin out of the gimble housing.
these boats are mostly fiberglass. no stingers, only a small mount board for the gimble housing. the rest is glass... in 1975...

as to the original question. just get one of the siphon pumps. you wont be sorry. you'll use it on all your stuff. least i do... clean and easy is how they work... + an easy transport to the recycle store... ;)

Last edited:

fastempo

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks everyone! I went out and purchased a suction pump. It came with two diam sizes of plastic tubing, one to fit over dipstick tube and one smaller to fit inside tube. This brings up another question: Does dipstick tube extend
sufficiently deep into crank case to be able to suck out most of the oil, should I elect to use the larger of the two pump tubings over the dipstick tube. I better use the little hose, for better assurance of getting oil out??

ziggy

Admiral

Does dipstick tube extend
sufficiently deep into crank case to be able to suck out most of the oil, should I elect to use the larger of the two pump tubings over the dipstick tube. I better use the little hose, for better assurance of getting oil out??
i don't know how far the dip stick tube extends into the pan. but since ya got your choice of either method. ya could use both. do the large dia. first for speed. then go to small so you get to the very bottom of the pan.
i can only use the small dia. down the dip stick tube. on my engine. the small tube for sure makes it to the bottom of the pan. i can feel it hit the bottom of the pan with the oil change tube. i'm sure it drains all but a very little out cause i can tap on the bottom of the pan with the oil change tube and here the ringing sound of an empty pan.
enjoy your new tool.. :)

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Here's my idea that i use...use a big ziplock bag to catch the oil. Once it's drained, you can manipulate the bag to get it out of the bilge. Then you are done. Use another to catch the oil filter. I like draining from the oilpan the best... i think it gets the most impurities out this way. Goodluck!

I used to do it that way until I tore a small hole in the bag:eek::eek: .....I sure made a mess that day!!!:mad:

I do like getting all the oil out though from the bottom............ connecting a drain hose at the pan drain allows for this.

You can either "fish" the drain hose through the bilge drain and let the oil drain via gravity...... or secure the other end up high (like I did) and use the Moeller or other suction pump to suck it out of the pan via the hose.

I can do it in about 5 min, hot or cold. I don't spill a drop.... I then go directly to my waste oil furnace and just pour it in!!:D One oil change is good for about 1 1/2 hours of heat!!!

I tell all my neighbors they need to change their oil every 2000 miles and 3 times per year in their boat!!!

Cheers,

Rick

crewscontrol

Seaman

Even if you vacuum out all the oil from the crankcase through the dip stick tube, you will still probably spill oil when you unscrew the oil filter. Even after removing all oil from the oil pan, the oil filter will still be full of oil and there is usually quite a bit of oil trapped on top of the oil filter inside the filter screw-on assembly. This oil pours out as soon as you unscrew the filter and break the seal.

You can try to catch the oil in a baggie or whatever, but if your oil filter is "buried" down in the bilge, like the one on our 21 foot lake boat, you cannot help but spill some oil. Over the past 45 years I have tried everything to keep from spilling oil when removing the oil filter - and I do mean EVERYTHING.

As soon as possible mop up as much spilled oil as possible with good quality paper towels. Sometimes you may have to swish the paper towels up under the engine and around the bilge with a stick. After you remove as much spilled oil as possible with the paper towels, spray a can of GUNK in the bilge, swish it around, and drain the residue into a bucket through the transom drain hole. It may help to use a spray hose or a pressure washer on LOW pressure. As a final "rinse" repeat the above using Dawn dish washing detergeant.

My 1986 21 foot lake ski boats bilge is still as clean as new, and I change oil every year. When removing the buried oil filter, I always spill some dirty oil into the bilge.

egclassic

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You can try to catch the oil in a baggie or whatever, but if your oil filter is "buried" down in the bilge, like the one on our 21 foot lake boat, you cannot help but spill some oil. Over the past 45 years I have tried everything to keep from spilling oil when removing the oil filter - and I do mean EVERYTHING.

I have been thinking about trying one of these for the heck of it,
http://www.jcwhitney.com/oil-filter...T2&zmam=15972153&zmas=18&zmac=129&zmap=29587G

Looks cheap and will probably break but If it don't work on the boat, maybe it will on the truck or bike, if not, it's only $22.00.

wire2

Lieutenant Commander

........ Over the past 45 years I have tried everything to keep from spilling oil when removing the oil filter - and I do mean EVERYTHING.

Well, almost everything.
A remote oil filter kit allows you to move the filter to an accesible location, where you can put a small pail under it.

Jeggs, $52

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stor...3+13+1147708&searchTerm=remote+oil+filter+kit

NAPA, $42.69 less hoses

http://www.napaonline.com/Search/Detail.aspx?R=ATP18429_0282558084

wire2

Lieutenant Commander

i don't know how far the dip stick tube extends into the pan. .......
Many tubes go under the engine to a right angle fitting which replaced the oil pan plug. So it's the lowest point.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Many tubes go under the engine to a right angle fitting which replaced the oil pan plug. So it's the lowest point.

True. On those engines, you really cannot add a "drain hose" like I mentioned above. But it works just as well to apply suction directly to the dipstick tube and there's usually a fitting provided at the top of the tube to connect the vac to.