Oh Canada.....WTH??????

Toad2001

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Oh Canada.....WTH??????

I wouldn't worry about it too much samagee, I doubt anyone gets a chance to "meet their maker" much anyway. Even if God did dedicate all of his time meeting the dead, you would only get to spend about half of one second with him. I calculate that 56 million deaths occur annually and there only 32 million seconds in a year.

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

u guys is missin the boat... nothing more than the<br />laws here that prohibit certain specific outbursts...<br />like standing up in a theatre and yelling FIRE!<br />or flying on a plane and yelling I HAVE A BOMB!<br />has no bearing whatsoever on what is discussed<br />while at a private religious service or any other<br />private conversation.<br />tempest in a tea-cup... :rolleyes:

JoeW

Senior Chief Petty Officer

MY,<br />You're right about it not having any bearing on private conversations. The problem is it has a big impact on public statements. In this country, the man who took out the article in the paper could never have been prosecuted. Canada's law goes way beyong yelling "fire" in a crowded theatre. If someone makes a public statement that can be inferred as being against the behaviors of groups covered by this law, then said statement is against the law. The Canadian man simply stated in a newspaper article that he believed homosexuality was wrong because of several passages in the Bible. This was enough for him to be fined $1,500.00 Can. <br />The Canadian parliament is favoring homosexual rights over Christian rights. This is not just anti-religion legislation, it's anti-Christian. <br />There is another story of a man convicted of publishing "hate propaganda" against Islam. His punishment was that he was required to undergo Islamic indoctrination. <br />Another man, a printer, was convicted using this law for refusing to provide print services to a pro gay/lesbian group. <br />This is very scary stuff in my opinion.

samagee

Chief Petty Officer

Toad, that human way of thinking about time is what has mislead many about the, "creating the world in seven days." Research the bible and you will see that he has a different time reference.<br /><br />At any rate. Those who pass laws to stiffle someone's freedom says alot about themselves/government.

18rabbit

Captain

MY – I think you might have missed the point…it goes further than what you have suggested. Go back and re-read the EDIT I added to my post. What you see is the 1st step in a progression designed to remove from public access all Christian ethics that do not agree with an opposing agenda. In other words, the public is to hear just one of several opinions on a subject. On it’s own, it is known as brainwashing. Collectively, it is an attempt at social engineering by less-tolerant people. More often than not, the ilk with less tolerance will loudly proclaim the need for them to be tolerated, however right or wrong.

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

quote: "This is not just anti-religion legislation, it's anti-Christian."<br />I chose to see it as "pro-freedom" Myself.<br />free to be whatever kinda person/nutcase u <br />care to be...<br />try substituting any of a number of sects of<br />society for "gay" and maybe u will understand.<br />price of freedom IMHO.

Elmer Fudge

Lieutenant Commander

Mmmm! I agree with MY.<br />Toad that is quite a unique perspective on the relativity of time
I wouldn't worry about it too much samagee, I doubt anyone gets a chance to "meet their maker" much anyway. Even if God did dedicate all of his time meeting the dead, you would only get to spend about half of one second with him. I calculate that 56 million deaths occur annually and there only 32 million seconds in a year.
I hope the bible thumpers don't beat you up on that comment :p <br />I for one have never believed in all the hogwash anyway, bible,koran,tora to me it's all just second rated fiction. There is a lot more facts in a Tom Clancy novel,and those can be found in the fiction isle of most book stores. Go figure!

JoeW

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I'm not a Bible thumper, and I don't appreciate being preached to. That not withstanding, I will defend the right of a preacher to preach and a gay person to..., well to be gay. IMHO any government attempt to stifle either is an attempt to deprive someone of their inalienable right to life liberty and the pursuit of happiness. I don't condone "hate" in any form, whether it be directed at gays or Christians, but I don't believe the message that the Saskatchewan man was attempting to convey was hate.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by joew94th:<br />[QB]IMHO any government attempt to stifle either is an attempt to deprive someone of their inalienable right to life liberty and the pursuit of happiness. [QB]
Joe, I don't think our Canadian cousins have the same set of GOD given rights as our Constitution expresses.

Stratosfied

Ensign

I' with OBJ's signature..when all else fails use the manual..The Bible is the handbook for life..use it or try it on your own..MHO.