Oh boy, milkshake in lower unit. 74- 70hp Johnson

blueboat1

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thread starter
Joined
Apr 29, 2003
Messages
81
I was doing some some last minute check getting the boat ready fror some fishing. I decided to check the lower unit oil, much to my :( suprise it was a milk shake. it's a 1974 70hp Johnson. How hard is it to replace the seals in the lower unit. i have done head hasket, impeller, thermostat, and carbs and they didnt seems to be too much of a challenge. is this likely something i can do, any idea on $$. Thanks in advance. last time i ran it i did not notice any rainbows so i believe it is not loosing any greese/oil just pulling in water. is that possible? could too much pressure from the earmiffs cause this?
 

blueboat1

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thread starter
Joined
Apr 29, 2003
Messages
81
Re: Oh boy, milkshake in lower unit. 74- 70hp Johnson

I will check it but i do remember clearplastic rings as i pulled the screws out. Most oif the rubber parts on the motor seem to be hard not soft, When i got it it had been sitting for a long while (by the looks of all othe wasp and mud dobber nest in/on and around the boat/motor. Thanks. If i do need to replace the seals are they a bear ?
 

james1

Seaman Apprentice
Joined
Jun 15, 2003
Messages
44
Re: Oh boy, milkshake in lower unit. 74- 70hp Johnson

If you have done the other work yourself then replacing the gearbox seals shouldn't be a problem.Replacing the O rings on the inspecion & filler screws would be a good idea as well but I am sure that your seals r your only real problem.<br /><br />Good luck!!!
 

OBJ

Supreme Mariner
Joined
Dec 27, 2002
Messages
10,161
Re: Oh boy, milkshake in lower unit. 74- 70hp Johnson

Tin Can....I've heard it called a lot of things....but never ever a milkshake LMAO!!! I like it. :D :D :D
 

12Footer

Fleet Admiral
Joined
Mar 25, 2001
Messages
8,217
Re: Oh boy, milkshake in lower unit. 74- 70hp Johnson

It's not that big of a deal (usually). It may just be a prop seal, in which case you just need to install the new seal with the l/u in place.<br />Do a pressure test (no more than 5PSI so you don't actually blow a seal).<br />Do it with the leg submerged in a drum if possable, and look for bubbles. Bubbles will come from the pressurised case wherever a seal has failed.<br /> Here is a thread that may be of further help...<br />And don't be so drepressed about it. Instead of grenading your gear case, you saved your investment by a bit of quality time invested in Preventive Maintainence..Kudos!
58.gif
 

blueboat1

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thread starter
Joined
Apr 29, 2003
Messages
81
Re: Oh boy, milkshake in lower unit. 74- 70hp Johnson

I guess that is a good way to look at it. I just purchase a house so there isn’t much extra to keep the old tin can in the water and if I would have fried it I would have been very bummed. I'll do the pressure test (5lb) and see what comes up (literally). I hope it's simple. I may have found the cause. The prop had a chunk taken out of it. Since I was in between 30 and 500 ft of water, i am not sure how it chipped but it did. I have a brand new prop to put on it but I wonder if the out of balance prop on the last trip did it? Live, learn and spend more money! Thanks for all the help.<br />Scott
 
Top