Oem vs. Sierra or Mallory

jplomeo

Cadet
Hi all,
What a wealth of information this forum is. Thank you all for sharing!
I am looking to replace water pump impellers on my main engine and trolling motors and (due to this economy) will have to do it myself rather than having a mechanic do it. I have ordered shop manuals and started looking for parts but noticed that some impellers are made by Sierra and some by Mallory (which are both less in price than OEM).

Anyone have any opinion as to which aftermarket make is better quality? or should I stick to OEM or is this just a chevy vs. ford thing?

Thanks

JP:confused:

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral
Re: Oem vs. Sierra or Mallory

For the impeller i would choose OEM first,then Mallory and Sierra last.
Sierra always seemed like cheaper made parts to me.
The Mallory parts i have used have been good so far.

mthieme

Captain

Sierra is all I can get locally for my OBs.
No problems.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

I use whatever I can get my hands on the easiest.

I change mine every two years and have not had a problem with any of the suppliers.

mthieme

Captain

Ever shop from ebasicpower? Fast delivery to your area....;)

No.
Usually in season when I need something it's on a weekend and I need it pronto. And it never fails, there will be a choice of two or three parts and you don't know which one until you get it apart.

However, I'm making a list for spring chores. Obviously time is not an issue.
I'll probably order from right here on iBoats. Their prices are look very good.
I wish they had a "Wish List" feature.

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

If your main engine is Volvo stick with volvo..been there done that

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

I order from Ebasic because its next day here for standard shipping.The prices are good too.
I order from Iboats also but it takes a few days longer.It just depends on how fast i need it.

ziggy

Admiral

i use oem if i can.... the way i'm seeing it is that everything aftermarket is a copy of the oem... how close to oem they are made, i don't know. but if i use oem i know the parts are made to meet the oem specs and their gonna be right... i've used a few seirra parts too.... no particular bad memory's about them.... i think maybe tune up parts. i know ya didn't ask about glm parts.... but just have to say i take issue their parts as they have caused me grief and i won't be using any of them..............

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

I buy OEM parts when I can. Some OEM parts, however, are so darned expensive that it becomes hard to justify manufacturer loyalty. On my 1972 Johnson 65 hp motors, this is especially true of ignition parts. So far, all of the aftermarket stuff that I have purchased has been CDI.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Why reinvent the wheel? It is by far cheaper to utilize "stock" parts in a design than it is to design new. The chances are pretty good that the same aftermarket suppliers some write off as being suppliers of a sub-standard parts are in fact the OEM.