OEM parts?

robbyr1

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have to replace a starter and flywheel on a Volvo 3.0L GSM-A. While looking at prices for this, I have noticed a drastic difference in prices.

I've found that starters run from $49 to $300 for the same Volvo part number. 3860566
And new flywheels from $149 to $600!

I realize that you get what you pay for and that OEM is mostly always better than aftermarket, but a 400% difference!?!?!

What are your thoughts? Would it be ok to get the cheaper ones, or do I always have to B.O.A.T. (break out another thousand)?
Thanks for your input!

Bondo

Staff member
Re: OEM parts?

Ayuh,... It's a Chevy motor,....

Why pay Volvo prices,..??

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

You may be able to take your current flywheel to an automotive machine shop and have them just press another ring gear on it and have your current starter rebuilt. If you cannot get the starter rebuilt, just find one online. Like Bondo said, It's not a "Volvo" starter

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Keep in mind, you need a starter that will directly replace the Volvo part number. Not just a cheap automotive starter. It must be MARINE rated, and it needs to have all the terminals on the solenoid that the Volvo starter does. The automotive do not have all the terminals, and they are not ignition protected.
NAPA carries the ring gears for the flywheels, no need to go OEM there. Count the teeth, measure the diameter and tell them what you have. Very easy to replace if you have an oxy/act torch.

Bondo

Staff member

NAPA carries the ring gears for the flywheels, no need to go OEM there. Count the teeth, measure the diameter and tell them what you have. Very easy to replace if you have an oxy/act torch.

Ayuh,... Or a kitchen Oven,.....;)

Bake the ring gear at 400? for 15/ 20 minutes, 'n it falls into place on the flywheel....