O' Canada

gaugeguy

Captain
I don't know how many of you are aware of this, but the Boston Bruins and Montreal Canadiens are playing each other in the Stanley Cup play-offs.<br /><br />The last two games in Montreal, the Canadian fans have loudly boo'd during the singing of the Star Spangled Banner. Last night prior to the singing of the anthem, Canadiens hero Jean Bellivue asked the fans to show respect and sportsmanship and not boo during the anthem. It didn't work.<br /><br />The Canadiens are coming to Boston on thursday and I'm sure the Bruin fans (not the classiest fans around either) are going to boo during O' Canada.<br /><br />This doesn't happen in Vancouver, Ottawa, Calgary, or Edmonton. What is up with the folks in Quebec? Kind of embarrasses me to say that I am a French Canadian.

samagee

Chief Petty Officer
Re: O' Canada

One of the reasons I am goin back to court this year for custody of my last two, is because of Canadians. They harras my boys for being American. My ex divorced me to marry a Canadian and moved there years ago. This is not something that has come about from this Iraq issue.<br /><br />I have zero respect for Canada.

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

Gaugeguy,<br /><br />Don't put a whole lot of thought into this one. I am an american but what goes on in San Fran, hardly defines the life we here in the midwest live. I am frequently embarrassed by some of the actions of the american citizenry. The fans don't realize that it is the american tradition to make political statements where ever and whenever we deem it necessary. These dolts are only acting as the uninformed rabble that they are, and would deny the Iraqi people of being. <br /><br />If they really cared they could form the equivalent of the Canadian Football league for their hockey fans. But like the Football league it would be less than the best and it's value would be diminished. Not only that, it would take work and vision to do it and they just don't have the stones to do that. <br /><br />I have confidence that the Boston fans will extend a similiar welcome. :( <br /><br />In short: see tylerin's post below..... :)

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

have lived on the border most of my life and even<br />had a cottage in canada as a kid. these are NOT<br />canadiens you are talking about here, they are<br />FRENCH canadiens. enourmous difference guys.<br />more french than canadien. and BTW, they are<br />disliked by other canadiens as well....

Fly Rod

Commander

:) My dealings with canada during fly fishing is when ya go to Quebec ya get no respect!!! :eek: <br /><br />They speak English & french,pull into a information center and they give ya info in french!!! :eek: <br /><br />Go into some stores and pay with "Greenback" and they only want to give you 10cents on the dollar when it should be 30+<br /><br />And they wanted to succeed from the rest of canada<br /><br />But I would also have to say not all are that way!!!<br /><br />Remember that fella that had the"Ode" to "AMERICA <br /><br />When ya go to New Brunswick the majority speaks English!!!!

samagee

Chief Petty Officer

You know what they call a good looking woman in Canada? A tourist. :D

Carphunter

Commander

"French Canadians", I should have guessed.<br /><br />Hey, maybe all the liberal dummies in this country are really "French Americans". :eek: <br /><br />Just a thought. ;)

gaugeguy

Captain

Canadians Help With US Terrorism <br /><br />PRESS RELEASE: <br /><br />Prime Minister of Canada to Visit Washington Statement by the Press Secretary <br /><br />President Bush and Prime Minister John Chretien of Canada met on Sept. 24th with the Canadian Leader strongly supporting the war on terrorism. Prime Minister Chretien issued the following statement:<br /><br />CANADIANS WILL HELP AMERICA WITH THE WAR ON TERRORISM!<br /><br />WE HAVE PLEDGED:<br />- 2 BATTLE SHIPS,<br />- 600 GROUND TROOPS,<br />- 6 FIGHTER JETS.<br /><br />AFTER THE AMERICAN EXCHANGE RATE, THEY WILL END UP WITH:<br />- 2 CANOES,<br />- 6 MOUNTIES,<br />- AND A BUNCH OF FLYING SQUIRRELS

gaugeguy

Captain

Originally posted by SBN:<br />Go Avalanche!!!!!! :cool:
The Avalanche came from Canada, they used to be the Quebec Nordiques six or seven years ago :p

Toad2001

Chief Petty Officer

Classy post samagee...<br />PS-Where's Pam Anderson from? Shania Twain? Hmmm...<br /><br />To anyone interested, there was a recent major controversy over Conan's show and insults by the comic dog in the streets of Quebec. Personally I thought it was funny, but you know, the joke was completely on "them" (the uni-lingual French population) it didn't translate very well to late night TV. Anyway, maybe some of the resentment stems from that...<br /><br /> http://www.cnn.com/2004/SHOWBIZ/TV/02/18/leisure.obrien.reut/ <br /><br />PSS-Quebec lost the Nordiques, but Canada still has 5 teams in the playoffs... ;)

Tacklewasher

Lieutenant Commander

I'm on the other end of Canada and can assure you that booing the American anthem is nothing but rude. We all have our issues with what is going on in the world right now, but that behavior is unnacceptable anywhere.<br /><br />5 out of 6 Canadian teams made the playoffs. Edmonton missed by an inch. But we lost the Jets and the Nordiques a while back (I was a Jets fan, having been born there). Tough to be a Vancouver fan these days with the whole Bertuzzi thing and there play last night, but I'm rooting for them.<br /><br />Anyway, don't paint all Canadians with the same brush. Just like Americans, some are good people and some are idiots. Take the time to find out which are which.

gaugeguy

Captain

Originally posted by Tacklewasher:<br />Anyway, don't paint all Canadians with the same brush. Just like Americans, some are good people and some are idiots. Take the time to find out which are which.
I wasn't painting all Canadians with the same brush, not even all French Canadians (I'm one of them and I have family up there). I just think it was very rude on their part, not very neighborly at all.