Nuetral safety switch wiring

redneckpunk

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Some quick background. Boat is a 1993 that has had an older merc o/b mounted on the stern. No serial # but believe its about a '77 1150.

Problem is it appears the '93 throttle was used and the neutral safety switch was bypassed. I have 5 wires coming from throttle housing. 3 are for power trim. However, coming out the back of the housing are two blk wires with yellow stripes that have been cut. I traced the wires into the housing and found both go to the safety switch. I've checked the wiring harness from the motor to the counsel and dont see anywhere that those wires might tie in. The only other blk/ylw wires I have run between the ignition/key switch to the "kill switch".

So I guess my question is, how and where can I re-attach those safety switch wires in combo with the kill switch so there is no chance of an accidental starting in gear? I used the boat all last summer after purchasing it and never realized the issue as I have been around boats my entire life and the last thing I do before turning the key is check that its out of gear. But theres no guarantee that I will always be at the helm.

Thanks in advance
~RNP

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Re: Nuetral safety switch wiring

Good to see a conscientious boater wanting to do the right thing... Those wires actually do the same thing as a kill switch OR even keep the starter from engaging to start the engine. So I’d try to locate a schematic diagram for your engine and control unit and wire them to those correct places. That may mean you have to either lengthen them or run new wires if there were cut too short to reach their positions. If nobody has a schematic diagram on here (I highly doubt that) you could buy a shop manual for that schematic...

redneckpunk

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Nuetral safety switch wiring

Thanks gm. I've got the manual but wiring has never been my strong point, especially when "colors" arent matching schematics or other things are thrown in the mix. For example, the schematics all show a 2 wire "Safety Stop Switch" but mine is a 4 wire. Also, the schematics indicate the 2 wires on "N" Safety are both YEL/RED. On mine they are BLK/YEL. My YEL/RED wires run to and from the "Safety Stop Switch". The other 2 wires at the Stop switch are BLK and BLK/YEL so Im wondering if the "N" wires tie in there.

As I said, wiring is not my thing