Now, what if I did this...

Brimauster

Cadet
I'd love to get a Starcraft Islander, but they're too pricey and too heavy for me to tow, so I was thinkin'... If I was to get my hands on an 18' SuperSport hull, any year, would it be crazy to fabricate a smaller copy of an Islander-like cabin top on the 18' hull?

I'll be boating with the wife and daughter, and we all know they need a place to go, if you know what I mean... ;)Some of the older Chieftains have cabins, and some of them are only 18 feet. I would more than likely make it out of aluminum for weight and uniformity reasons. What'cha think?

Brimauster

Cadet
Re: Now, what if I did this...

Well, yeah... Exactly like that. I've searched all over the net for them, and the few I found were too far away to look at. Mostly mid-west and Pac-Nor-West. I am NOT flying across the country to look at a boat! I'll have to find one local or build my own.

I kind of like the idea of building my own for several reasons. I can make it as big or small as I want, I can make smaller windows, I could rake the forward edge back a bit too. Those giant windows in the front would be a liability in a heavy sea-state, a LOT of water could pour in should one fail. I really only need to make it big enough for the girls to use the "facilities" and change clothes. A place to get out of the sun or rain as well.

I'll have to do my homework and figure how much weight it will add, and what effect it will have in handling, etc... Heck, we put a man on the moon (or so they say), I can build a little cuddy on my boat!:D

bassboy1

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Now, what if I did this...

Where are you located? There is one of those for sale just near lake lanier. Needs restoration, and I am not sure if that is what you want. But, if you are close enough, I will pm you the seller.