November 11

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Eleventh month, eleventh hour, eleventh minute... here we are on the eve of Veterans Day and sad to say but very few will recognize it.<br /><br />I guess I am spouting off because I work for a company that does not honor veterans. That is due for a change soon. Very few business' honor veterans and the business owners refuse to take action in the fear it will impact the profit margins.<br /><br />Imagine if all of us veterans refused to do our jobs? Many of the business' today may not even exsist!<br /><br />I salute fellow veterans and hope we all have a safe, sincere and solemn Veterans Day.<br /><br />God Bless us all.<br /><br />Bob US Army Retired

62_Kiwi

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: November 11

Amen to what Bob_VT said.<br /><br />In NZ we have just welcomed the return home of the body of "the New Zealand unknown warrior" - from a French grave.<br /><br /><br />The fallen World War I soldier will lie in state at Parliament's Legislative Council Chamber until this morning, before a memorial service and his interment in a newly built tomb at the National War Memorial. <br /><br />The soldier will never be identified. He died on the Somme in 1916, and has been chosen to represent the more than 30,000 New Zealanders killed in wars since the start of the 20th century. <br /><br /><br /> http://www.nzherald.co.nz/storydisplay.cfm?storyID=3609120&thesection=news&thesubsection=general

Link

Rear Admiral

Hey Bob<br />Until last year I had never took Veterans day off either. I think it was JasonJ that mentioned he always takes the day off here on iboats. So I did last year and going to do the same this year.<br />1971-1991 14 active Army 6 reserves<br />Mrs.Link 1987 to presant 17 years Navey reserves going for 30<br />Mrs.Link has been working for the state of Wa for 20+ years and our state always honors Veterans day!

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

The ones who deserve our gratitude the most cannot receive it. So maybee it's best recognised the way it is.

BrianFD

Senior Chief Petty Officer

To all veterans who've defended our freedoms throughout our history, I salute and honor you!<br />God Bless you for your service, and God Bless the U.S.A.!<br />
37.gif

f_inscreenname

Commander

They have gone where I hope I never have to but would if called. For that Thank You!

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Many people (including the Dallas NBC affiliate :mad: ) confuse Veterans Day with Memorial Day.<br /><br />Veterans Day, the anniversary of the signing of the armistice that ended WWI, honors those of us who served our country and came home. <br /><br />It is not Memorial Day, which is the last Monday in May, that honors those who died in wars on our behalf.<br /><br />It takes nothing away from those who didn't come home to honor those who did. Let's not aggravate the guilt that surviving veterans often feel for surviving by turning Veterans Day into another Memorial Day.<br /><br />To all of my fellow veterans, including my son and daughter, thanks you for our liberty.

hayhauler

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I want to express my appreciation to my fellow citizens who served in the armed forces. I chose not to serve, simply because at 18 I wanted to "get on with my life." There was no war and none in sight, and I just figured I'd go to college and try to find a way to make a living. Looking back on it I wish I had served because I believe it is an honorable thing to do, and the discipline and experience probably would have been better for me than the goofing off I did in college. All of that aside.<br /><br />Thank you to all who served, in all times and in all places, you have my respectful appreciation.

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

I don't get to take it off this year. All the service calls I have tomorrow are people who will only have me. Thats okay, I don't mind giving my customers what they need, thats what I am paid for. I have not worked that much this week, so it is all good. Thanks to those who have shown appreciation to the vets, it does mean a lot to be appreciated.

tcube

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thank you all from a Veteran - I'm honored to have served our country for 25 years.<br /><br />I watched the PBS/National Geographic special tonight - "Arlington: Field of Honor" - my eyes are still moist. If you get the chance, I recommend you see it.<br /><br />God Bless America and watch over our troops where ever they are.

JasonB

Lieutenant

As others have said, many thanks and much respect to our veterans and service men/women. Like HayHauler, I chose not to enter the service, mostly after having a bad experience with the recruiter for the service I was interested in and being 18, I was already set on going to college.<br /><br />I do however appreciate the sacrifices made by all those serving/who have served.<br /><br />To quote a couple lines from a couple songs...<br /><br />"All gave some, some gave all" and from one of my favorites as a kid who looked up to a great man who served on the front lines in Korea... "21 guns, the stars and stripes, eyes full of tears and a heart full of pride". Thanks Cliff and all Vets! I usually try to call him on Veterans day and say thanks. <br /><br />Thanks for the reminder.

dick

Chief Petty Officer

Well Bob rest assured up here we take it very seriously,full national holiday.<br />I will be going to a local parade with my wife and 4 year and then off to the cenotaph to pay our respects and for 2 minutes of silence at 11:00.<br />I thank each and every veteran who fought<br />for us, specially my grandfather who I truely thank for my life.

Peter J Fraser

Chief Petty Officer

I got a reason to remember "Armistice Day" as we call it in NZ.<br />It is also my Wedding Anniversary.<br />32 years this afternoon (with no time off for good behaviour)<br /><br />Peter

Bassy

Lieutenant Commander

I thank all the veterans for all that they've done for me! I made sure all my students understood why they have tomorrow off. Thank a veteran and shake their hand for making sure you get to stand here today!<br />Bassy

NYMINUTE

Captain

Interesting Poll question in a regional e-paper yesterday:<br />Should Veterans be excused with pay for the day 11-11, no matter where they work? 84% of 288 responses said Yes. <br />Always baffled me why wifey had a paid holiday (school nurse) with teachers my age who were deferred from military service during Nam, and I and others served honorably, yet had to work. Wake up CEO's, Vets are a reason you are where you are, instead of speaking German, or someother backwater language. (rant)

rudeafrican

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yes here in South Africa we also remember it as armistice day. I belong to a veterans association called M.O.T.H.S (stands for Memorable Order of Tin Hats)who was formed after the great war or ww1 as it became known. We are having a sunset parade this evening at our cenotaph. Below is an extract of our opening creed.<br /><br />"We Will Remember Them....Age will not weary them, nor the years condemn. At the going down of the sun, and in the morning, we will remember them...."

one more cast

Captain

I'm heading out the door to put up my flag in honer of all our veterans, past, present,and fallen. Thank You!

fixin

Senior Chief Petty Officer

a big THANK YOU to all that have served this great country of ours.