Not Sure What To Make Of This

Davem3

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Not Sure What To Make Of This

i have a 17'4" old town Discovery canoe. I in my wisdom ( before i bought my princecraft boat) put a Merc 2.5 HP motor on it and used a 40 LB barbell on the opposite side to counterbalance...........

Bottom lines.......

1) after 1/2 throttle, the rooster tail would spray a steady stream of water INTO the canoe............
and
2) at 1/2 throttle with 800 pounds in it, i lifted the canoe OUT of the water, and was doing 17 MPH............ verified by GPS............

moral of the story............. NOT a good idea at all.

pootnic

Chief Petty Officer

i have a 17'4" old town Discovery canoe. I in my wisdom ( before i bought my princecraft boat) put a Merc 2.5 HP motor on it and used a 40 LB barbell on the opposite side to counterbalance...........

Bottom lines.......

1) after 1/2 throttle, the rooster tail would spray a steady stream of water INTO the canoe............
and
2) at 1/2 throttle with 800 pounds in it, i lifted the canoe OUT of the water, and was doing 17 MPH............ verified by GPS............

moral of the story............. NOT a good idea at all.
Really...17 mph with a 2.5hp??
Although the 9.9hp wouldn't be wise a 2.5-4hp should be fine.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

What is not mentioned here is that as a displacement hull, it will NOT get on plane. T

i have a 17'4" old town Discovery canoe.

17 mph is well above the hull speed of that canoe... (6.5 mph) I know the popular theory is that you can't exceed hull speed on a displacement hull, but the plain and simple fact is yes, you can. (that same theory also goes on to say that no matter how much power you add, it won't increase beyond hull speed. Complete and utter BS...) Hull speed is just a tool for calculating efficiency.

Pretty much any hull will plane, given enough power and weight balance. There really is no such thing as a true displacement hull, outside of a submarine. If there is an angled surface facing down without an angled surface facing up to counter act it, it will plane. (yes, even perfectly round pontoons without lifting strakes will plane given enough power! :D )

pmillar

Petty Officer 1st Class

If they do try it out, make sure they have a kill switch cord for the outboard (can't tell from the pics). It would be a shame for anyone to encounter the prop before the engine dies when they flip it, or whatever other mishap takes place. Just a thought...

O'Riley

Seaman

Son just told me the transom will be cut down a couple inches to lower the motor. Owner plans on a test run next week before coming up north. For the weight problem he has a 250# dude that will sit in the bow. Could be interesting. ;)

lncoop

Vice Admiral

Son just told me the transom will be cut down a couple inches to lower the motor. Owner plans on a test run next week before coming up north. For the weight problem he has a 250# dude that will sit in the bow. Could be interesting. ;)

So, 250 pounder up front, fifty pounds of gear in the middle, 200 plus pounds of guy and outboard in back? I have a seventeen foot flat back. Max capacity is 700 pounds. I take her on day trips on some local streams with my buddy, who clocks in at around 190, and myself, ditto, with minimal gear in the middle and a little 2.5 Merc on the back. The Merc weighs 28 pounds. The rig does very well under those conditions (as intended), but all it takes is a sharp jerk on the tiller and/or one of us leaning and over she'll go. I'll save the lecture and the incredulous comment because that's been pretty well covered, but I'm very hopeful that their test will convince them this is a bad idea. I actually think their experience in the BWCA is working against them in this case because it sounds like their confidence is overriding their common sense.

lakelover

Rear Admiral

Could this be a candidate for the Darwin Award? :D

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

what a waste of a good motor.

no reason to expect these guys to do anything smart, but this is a text book example why any outboard not bolted on needs to have a line tying it to the boat. When that pine board splits--if they get that far--it's sinking.

Here's my prediction: when they take off, the slightest turn or weight shift to one side is going to cause it to veer and roll. Second choice: they overcompensate the bow rise and stuff the bow, swamp and roll.

ckalupa

Seaman

and then you also have the fact that the local law enforcement may just want to review your placard with you and then give you something else to read (and pay) if the boat is not rated for a motor, run in an unsafe manner, etc.

O'Riley

Seaman

Never thought about it being against the law, seems it is. Here's what the MN DNR says:

CAPACITY AND OVERLOADING
The boat?s operator must limit the total horsepower, weight AND maximum number of passengers
to that shown on the capacity plate installed by the
boat?s manufacturer. It is unlawful and dangerous
to load or power your boat beyond its maximum
capacity.

Well, that could throw a wrench in the works. Nothing would ruin a fishing trip like having a game warden telling you to get that canoe off the lake.

Oh well.

Jeep Man

Commander

Are these boys your only two sons or do you have a few more as spares? I did some stupid things in my younger years and with the grace of God lived to never mention them. There is no way on God's green earth would I let any of my kids go into a cold northern lake in that rig, regardless if they are 10, 20, 30, or 40 years old. We aren't suppose to be attending our kid's funerals. If they want to go, loan them your boat and put the 9.9 on that one.

Davem3

Chief Petty Officer

and then you also have the fact that the local law enforcement may just want to review your placard with you and then give you something else to read (and pay) if the boat is not rated for a motor, run in an unsafe manner, etc.

number one:ANY Vessel in the USA with a MOTOR ( and YES this includes electrics) MUST be resisteredand have a hull number clearly identified on starboard and port bows.

number two: MY old town discovery canoe was the HIGHEST rated ever made by Old Town, it is a tri-poly hull and can hold 1680 pounds total............ and the HP rating is 5HP MAX!!!!!!!!!!!

number 3: a tin canoe will have a much much much LOWER rating period................

number 4: the USCG sticker in the canoe is NOT in there for carps and giggles, IT IS THE LAW!

number five: take a video, IF the warden even lets you anywhere NEAR the river, and install a KILL SWITCH ASAP!!!!!!

number six: let us now how HUGE the fine is, trust me, it will be big..................

number sever : MOST IMPORTANT remember the wardens, DEM police, DEP police, whatever you want to call them, it varies from state to state, have MORE power than even your STATE POLICE OFFICER!!!!!!! you see, they can ( and will ) arrest you on LAND and on WATER..................

case closed, next victim, please....................

Davem3

Chief Petty Officer

oh, and the holes they drilled to mount the board in the transom, PURE GENIUS!!!!!!

P.S. that pine board does not stand a chance, oak............. maybe ??????

scoutabout

Lieutenant Commander

...Here's my prediction: when they take off, the slightest turn or weight shift to one side is going to cause it to veer and roll......

HC - I'm thinking that's best case scenario. I'm going to go out on a limb and predict that stern is going under the moment the first guy steps in...

Skeeterbait

Cadet

When I was a young guy long time ago a friend and I rounded up a boat and motor for fishing. We had a 10 foot aluminum boat and a 20 hp Mercury motor. Thing would fly and I didn't have enough sense to be scared of it. That... I would not have done that even back then.

O'Riley

Seaman

They took her out for a spin, today I think, and all came back alive. :)

I don't know the particulars as to how fast they went or how far, just a few pictures. I think they did replace that pine board with oak or something more durable.

CheckingForSunfish.jpg

HeadingOut.jpg

HeadingOut2.jpg

TheReturn.jpg