NOS throttle ignition

iggyw1

Master Chief Petty Officer
Hi guys,

I am going to check out a boat that is up for sale. It is a NEW 1973 Chrysler Charger 118. I say new because this boat was never in the water as yet. It is like brand new inside and out. Looks like it just came out of a dealer's show room on the photos I saw of it. My question is this:

What is a NOS throttle ignition? The current owner builds race cars for Mopar, and he stated to me that he has put a motor on this boat from a Chrysler Conqueror, and he put a NOS throttle ignition on it. What is this? Does anyone know? The motor has been completely rebuilt and also looks like brand new, but there are no markings at all on it that I can see in the photos of it. He says it runs great and he will run it for me when I get there to see it in a few days. Sounds too good to be true. He says the motor alone is worth the asking price ($3,000.00 boat, motor & trailer) The boat alone looks like it would be worth that much. The trailer is an older trailer that needs paint.
Thanks.

pckeen

Commander
Re: NOS throttle ignition

new, old stock?

Yup. Means the part has been sitting around for a while, and there are newer versions of the part, but this is still 'new' in the sense that it has never been installed.

YoungMind

Seaman

Hi guys,

I am going to check out a boat that is up for sale. It is a NEW 1973 Chrysler Charger 118. I say new because this boat was never in the water as yet. It is like brand new inside and out. Looks like it just came out of a dealer's show room on the photos I saw of it. My question is this:

What is a NOS throttle ignition? The current owner builds race cars for Mopar, and he stated to me that he has put a motor on this boat from a Chrysler Conqueror, and he put a NOS throttle ignition on it. What is this? Does anyone know? The motor has been completely rebuilt and also looks like brand new, but there are no markings at all on it that I can see in the photos of it. He says it runs great and he will run it for me when I get there to see it in a few days. Sounds too good to be true. He says the motor alone is worth the asking price ($3,000.00 boat, motor & trailer) The boat alone looks like it would be worth that much. The trailer is an older trailer that needs paint.
Thanks.

I believe that exact boat is on another forum here, where someone was questioning how a boat that is over 40 years old has never touched water...

Found the thread it was on.
http://forums.iboats.com/boat-topics-questions-not-engine-topics/time-machine-641994.html

Last edited:

iggyw1

Yes young mind. It is the same boat! Don't know if you saw the other photos that was with it. They showed the interior of the boat. It looks like it is in a dealer's show room. It is very hard to believe that it was never in the water, but I will be able to tell when I go to see it. It is about an hour ride for me but may be worth it.

I spoke with the owner yesterday on the telephone, and he swears that it was NEVER in the water. I asked if he can start it up for me and he said everything is still winterized and he does not want to unwinterize it yet as we are still below freezing here in Michigan on some days. I don't think I would even consider it if he cannot run it. He said the boat alone is worth over the asking price, but I told him it is not worth a dime to me if I cannot fish out of it!

The NOS is "new old stock" because I asked him what it was. Thanks all for your replies!!

NOTE: Could this boat be dry rotted if it was stored indoors all these years?
IGGY

Last edited:

pckeen

Commander

Couple of words of caution. Although the motor has never been in the water, there are parts that can degrade without being run - rubber seals for example. However, if that thing starts up and runs, then it sounds like a steal at that price.

gbrowne9

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i have had 2 chrysler charger boats, a 151 and a 181.great boats. i put a 200 merc on the 181 and it would run 70 mph with zero chinewalk. i,ve been looking for another.you can over power them with no problem if the transom is good.

iggyw1

The motor WAS in the water, it's the boat that was never in the water. It is off of a Chrysler Conqueror boat. I don't know what model year, but he claims he re-did it and it looks great! There are no labels on the motor because he repainted it too to look like new. I asked him if when I get out there if he can run the motor for me, he told me if he gets it going the price will be doubled!!! I told him I am no longer interested. Case closed, and thanks for all your input guys!

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Iggy: The engine can be anywhere from 1973 to 1978. It means nothing that it came off a Chrysler Conquerer. It is a 4 cylinder engine and without any markings it can be anywhere from 105 to 140 horsepower. 150s were rare and I doubt the engine is that. It alone is worth 300-500 if it is running. The boat and trailer is worth another 500 if the hull is in good condition. At the other forum, I think the fellows were saying the trailer is trashed. DO NOT pay anywhere near 3000--the boat simply is not worth it. AND, the foam filled hulls DID absorb water--not a detracting point if the hull was never in the water. In fact, given the tone of the ad the seller will not compromise. WALK AWAY from this one. And that is from a die-hard Chrysler fan.

On the positive side, the hulls were a very smooth riding and quiet hull. they also did turn very well. My buddy had a 16 footer with a 75 Chrysler and it topped out at about 32 MPH.

And, by the way: For some unknown reason, Chrysler management made the numbers of the hull refer to the cubic feet volume inside the cockpit, not the length of the hull

Last edited:

iggyw1

Thanks all. I have purchased a different boat today!