NOS ignition parts

healey8390

Petty Officer 1st Class
Does anyone have experience with new old stock ignition parts? I'm looking at a couple of power packs and they look really old, like 20ish years or more.

My first thought would be to shy away from them but I'm in this "boat" because I have a bad power pack that is just under a year old. It's an aftermarket but name brand. Interestingly enough it's made by a different marine engine manufacturer. I guess they were on a money grab when patents or whatever expired.... Well, when I put the old one on the spark returned and is very strong, stronger then the remaining new power pack as well.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Get the number off the power pack (the NOS one), and see if you can identify it by year. I don't shy away from old stock parts, but you have to know what you are looking for. But it sounds like this is moot anyway, as you are up and running.

James R

Commander
No telling with electronics. I am an old electronics eng and from experience components can last 10 mins or a thousand years. We dont know.
With ignition components I buy new CDI brand. I you want big fat sparks and reliability thats the way to go. Forget the no brand Chinese junk. I have.