North Korea

KRS

Banned
Re: North Korea

quote..... "father time took him out".<br /><br />Next in line.. Castro.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

hope so. that is another quagmire our forign policy got us in. the attempts we have made(CIA) to take him out have been laughable. the guy must be irish he is so lucky. :) :)

D

DJ

I think the issue with Castro has been that he's too close to home.<br /><br />Plus, he has shown tendencies to be aligined with Canada, Mexico and Western Europe.

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

rodbolt- HUUUUGE over sight!! <br /><br />Look into the WTO (World Trade Orgaization)and peer at the #'s between the US and Korea.<br /><br />In 2003(most recent data) Korea was the US' 7th largest export market... with a 66% tariff average on all AG products (excluding low quality rice which is @ 5%). This is just the tip of the iceberg .. not to mention the 13% trade deficit we carry.<br /><br />We've funded the Nuke project for christsake<br /><br />"Trade can be a powerful tool for developing countries in building their economies."<br />-from the US trade Rep.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

Barlowe<br /> its funny how all the top educated people in North Korea have ivy leage educations :) . happens all over the world when we meddle in governments. Iran had a democratically elected government until we dismantled it in 53 for oil.<br /> but even though we do trade with them the average north korean is poor. an embargo wont hurt the govt but it would starve massive amounts of people. its funny that here in the states we cannot picture someone starving to death. in other parts of the world its common place.<br /> if I had the answers I would not be here but I can tell you that the current administration is neglecting the history and therefore doomed to repeat the mistakes. I try not to bash I try to just look up the facts and draw conclusions.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

North Korea should be dealt with in pretty-much the same way the USSR was.<br />Bloviating is all that pot-bellied tin-horn dictator, Kim Jong Il is good at. He should be ignored as much as possible, while keeping an eye on our back.<br />We didn't go charging-into Moscow when the Soviets tested thier first nuke. Nor should we add an increased level of respect to Kim (a girl's name) Jong (his last jong stunk) Ill (makes me sick).<br />And to all those itching to bring our oil dependence into our military decission making (in spite of the truth they see)---- Russia is awash in oil reserves!

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

OOPsie daisy - I've gotten my figures confussed .. <br /><br />Sorry Rodbolt for spewing some garbage out on your topic.. if I get things straight I'll get back to it.. I'm relating the entire peninsula's #'s and not seperating South from North..<br /><br />please forgive my HUUUUUGE oversight :eek: :rolleyes: <br /><br />I've just been looking at different angles we could take with this nut case with-out tromping around the shorelines and kicking sand in his face with military actions while he sits there with his finger on the button.<br /><br />as for the third world situation you speak of .. I've been close enough that I care not to experience it anymore than I have already (non-military experience).

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

there again<br /> we should have never allowed north and south korea to be divided after WWII just as we should not have allowed the russians to carve apart germany and most of eastern europe. we had the power to stop it in 1945 and failed. mostly cause by that time we were war weary.

D

DJ

rodbolt wrote: <br /><br />
there again<br />we should have never allowed north and south korea to be divided after WWII just as we should not have allowed the russians to carve apart germany and most of eastern europe. we had the power to stop it in 1945 and failed. mostly cause by that time we were war weary.
As I recall, ACCURATE, not re-written, history text tells me that the Russians were a key player in the demise of Nazi Germany. Hitler made the mistake of taking them on too, at exactly the wrong time. The Russians paid dearly for the demise of Nazi Germany. <br /><br />Yes, we probably could have stopped it, however, it would have been a huge battle that I'm not sure we could have won seeing that we were still fighting a war on two fronts. The Russians still presented a very formidable foe. They were just as fanatic as the Japanese. Plus, the American people would have cried foul, just as they are now in the fight against terrorism.<br /><br />As for Korea, we had the Chinese breathing down our necks. We definetely didn't have the resources to take them on too. Not at that time.<br /><br />Sometimes, compromises have to be made. It's funny how hindsight is always 20/20.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

DJ<br /> yep makes me wonder what hitler was thinking. russian raw resorces and manpower coupled with german technology could have changed the outcome. at the end of WWII japan owned the Korean area. we stripped them and divided it with the russians and the plan was to reunite and stablize it. cold war planning proved otherwise. our relations with the chinese were fair in 1945 but they were still a bit bitter over our late entry into the china/japan conflict. I still think if more asian decent people would have been in wealthy influintial positions in the states like the anlo/europeans it would have been a different cold war.<br /> all I am saying is if someone doies not wake up and read the history on how and why this mess was created we will repeat it again only this time with more powerful weapons. but I warrenty china,Russia nor the US wants a nuke battle with the north koreans. I really dont think the north koreans want it. my opinion is for now its a saber rattle to leverage better food and trade deals. however kim song is rather unstable I think.<br /> and yes the russians were a key player. we armed them and supported them from sometime in 43. however they paid a terrible price the last two years of the war as did germany. hitler forgot the history on fighting in a russian winter. napolean got smoked over the same scorched earth retreat and russian winters.<br /><br /> Barlowe<br /> no worries about any garbage. I knew what ya ment. and I tohope it can be resolved peacefully. time will tell. but unlike the Iraqi's the north korean troops are well armed and trained. would be a terribly bitter fight.

D

DJ

Rodbolt wrote, in "quotes". <br /><br />
at the end of WWII japan owned the Korean area. we stripped them and divided it with the russians and the plan was to reunite and stablize it. cold war planning proved otherwise. our relations with the chinese were fair in 1945 but they were still a bit bitter over our late entry into the china/japan conflict. I still think if more asian decent people would have been in wealthy influintial positions in the states like the anlo/europeans it would have been a different cold war.<br />
Yes, I agree somewhat. Our relationship with China would have been described as "fair". Any other view, I deem as being myopic. We helped them initially, yet their overwhelming manpower and unfathomable landmass and ancient ways were not understandable to us. It was help, but with a "hands off" policy. Only helping in the defeat of the Japanese. <br /><br /><br />At the end of WWII, we, the Chinese, the Russians and the rest off the world all stood looking at each other. All thinking, "OK what now". <br /><br />A thing called "negotiation" came up. I'm not a fan of it, but I do not get to negotiate world changing subjects either, nor do any of us. <br />Via that process, we have what we have now. We can deny it all we want, but the facts remain the same. Disclaimer-(public schools-dem party) :( <br /><br />In essence, circumstances change in this fluid world we live in. Following one set of rules is dangerous, except one:<br /><br />Promote freedom and democracy, If you have a problem with that, that's where we part company.<br /><br /><br />
I still think if more asian decent people would have been in wealthy influintial positions in the states like the anlo/europeans it would have been a different cold war.<br />
They were not allowed to leave. Their respective governments deemed it necessary to kill them over educating them. Many, that got here, were handed opportunities. That's the American way.<br /><br />It's only by quick thinking and the grace of God that we were able to shuttle out the best and brightest minds of the German missile industry. A few differnt scenarios and the world would be a VERY different place. I choose to cherish the one (American) I live in, not hate it.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

DJ<br /> I am with you on the promotion of liberty,freedom and democracy. <br />what I was refering to about the large influintial anglo/european block was we had very long standing ties to europe and none with asia. we did not know what to do so we did nothing. sometimes a good policy.<br /> I am with you on shuttling out the best germany had to offer.<br /> whats funny is we did the same with the japs only the head unit 731,<br /> http://www.china.org.cn/english/China/91409.htm <br />, was a better dealmaker and had no family or historical ties with the US. hence no war crimes hangings for his unit. it was quietly hushed upbut they did turn over all research documents.<br /> I dont hate my country at all. in fact far from it.<br /> I do however reserve the right to question my government. especially when it looks like they are doing terrible wrongs. I alway let two saying quantify my BS meter.<br /> if it quacks wattles and swims shoot it and eat duck and dont pee on my leg and tell me its raining.<br /> most of the stuff I posted I looked up in high school. now its just easier to find it. all of it is verifiable in the library of congress. I tend to discount reporters unless some one still has the documents.

D

DJ

rodbolt,<br /><br />I am familiar with the "731". The "731" leaders, including much of Japans upper government, were US educated. Aren't we nice people? <br />The Japs were vicious in their treatment of prisoners. Much worse than the Germans. Death, at the hands of the Japanese was a blessing. We now reward them by buying their products.<br /><br />But, I digress.<br /><br />We had no idea regarding the Chinese. Still don't. We look at them with a jaded eye and they return the favor. It's still an atmosphere of mistrust but tempered by dollars flowing each way. More their way, I might add.