FORUM RULES UPDATED - The forum rules have been updated to continue to provide a friendly and safe environment for our member community. Please take a moment to review the updated rules and our terms of use and privacy policy. Click here for Forum Rules which has links to the 'terms of use' and 'privacy policy'.
In Other News . . .
You will notice a few enchancements to the forums to make your experience better. These include: Email Notifications, Thread Previews, Thread Starter Notation, and Emoji Options on the 'Like' icon. . .
Additionally, the merchant portions of the website have been updated and are now operational. . . . Check out iBoats for all your boating gear.
I have a 1990 merc 90 that is not getting spark to any plugs. It supposedly ran fine last year until it was winterized, now with new plugs it won't start. Are there any common trouble spots on these motors that I should check?
Had the same problem and it scared me to think of diagnosing it. The manual has some simple procedures to test the stator with an inexpensive ohmeter. I found that my stator was bad. Purchased one on eBay for 80.00, problem solved. Good luck.
I have discovered a broken magnet under the flywheel. Is this at all common? What are the odds my stator is also damaged (I haven't removed the flywheel yet) Is the flywheel puller a special tool. Finally...does a flywheel really cost $400...yikes.