No reverse no matter how i adjust the shift cables

Chevyls6

Petty Officer 1st Class
In my never ending saga of problems with this pos setup i now can't get the shifting mechanism adjusted such that the drive will go into forward and reverse.

I followed all the instructions in the factory manual but there isn't enough travel in the master shift cable to get the drive to go into both gears. I can get reverse only if i take the lower cable off and pull it the last inch by hand.

What am i looking at here? Bad cable or bad parts inside the drive itself? The shifting foot feels a little bit wiggly if i try and move it but i have no clue if its enough to cause the issue im describing.

sure wish i had gone with an outboard setup.....

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
the last inch by hand.
If thats true you do have a issue. You need to remove the drive and start inspecting the mechanism for excessive play. then check the brass shoe in the drive. Fwd is exactly straight ahead, no ifs ,ands ,or buts.
If you think of fwd as 6:00 turning the shoe counterclockwise to 5:00 is neutral and turning it all the way counterclockwise is Rev at sbout 4:00

tank1949

Lieutenant Commander
New to you boat? If you have owned it for a while, what have you done to cause adjustment problems? I assume and Alpha? You must have friend move throttle linkage at helm while you observe drive "shoe." Laying on you back and looking at the back side of drive. If you have an Alpha, I believe that you only have about 1/4 or 90 degrees of an ark between forward and reverse. If shoe moves, you may have internal OD problems.

Chevyls6

Petty Officer 1st Class

good catch i was using the 5 7/8" adjustment for the very early drives instead of 6 inches.

My setup consists of a late mc1 transom assembly with alpha 1 outdrive, bellhousing and gimbal ring.

I did the test described above for play in the shift mechanism and got 5/8" while holding the prop in forward gear with my foot. Guess that means the drive has to come apart 🤬

nola mike

Vice Admiral
good catch i was using the 5 7/8" adjustment for the very early drives instead of 6 inches.

My setup consists of a late mc1 transom assembly with alpha 1 outdrive, bellhousing and gimbal ring.

I did the test described above for play in the shift mechanism and got 5/8" while holding the prop in forward gear with my foot. Guess that means the drive has to come apart 🤬
Not necessarily. The slop can be from anywhere in the system. I was able to steal a bit of play by tightening up a few other clearances, esp at the shift shoe. I'm still unfortunately way out and need a lower unit swap...

Chevyls6

Petty Officer 1st Class
Is there any part of the shift linkage that is known to wear more than others? I read some posts about the shift spool inside the gearcase being a known issue.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Just spin the brass barrel (on the shift cable) until you have 6".

Chris...

nola mike

Vice Admiral
I can count on one hand the number of shift spools I've replaced, very much doubt this is your issue
Pretty sure that's the issue on mine... Like the coil, everything can break. But there's a spec for checking the slop in the intermediate shift shaft, so easy to rule out a drive problem.

Chevyls6

Petty Officer 1st Class
Whats the procedure for checking if the play is in my lower gearcase or in the shift cable/upper shift shaft ?

dubs283

Vice Admiral
Whats the procedure for checking if the play is in my lower gearcase or in the shift cable/upper shift shaft ?
With the drive off and locked in forward gear the play in the lower shift shaft must not be more than 12 degrees. There is a guide and template for checking the shaft/spool play in the oem manual.

AFAIK there is no spec for lower cable play, if you can't achieve full fwd/neu/rev by adjusting the cables properly, first suspect is the lower shift cable. It is the most commonly replaced item in the alpha style shift system and ime part of routine maintenance.

The bell housing/upper shift shaft should have zero play/lash. The only play it has is between the cable slide at the roller and the shift foot/fork at the drive

Chevyls6

Petty Officer 1st Class
With the drive off and locked in forward gear the play in the lower shift shaft must not be more than 12 degrees. There is a guide and template for checking the shaft/spool play in the oem manual.

AFAIK there is no spec for lower cable play, if you can't achieve full fwd/neu/rev by adjusting the cables properly, first suspect is the lower shift cable. It is the most commonly replaced item in the alpha style shift system and ime part of routine maintenance.

The bell housing/upper shift shaft should have zero play/lash. The only play it has is between the cable slide at the roller and the shift foot/fork at the drive

Are the aftermarket shift cable kits any good?

I did see some play in the bell housing shift shaft bushings before the drive was on, but at the time i wasnt sure if it would be a problem.

achris

Are the aftermarket shift cable kits any good?
Haven't found one that works properly yet.
I did see some play in the bell housing shift shaft bushings before the drive was on, but at the time i wasnt sure if it would be a problem.
It's not. The lower bushing is designed to have about a 1mm clearance.

Chris...

tank1949

Lieutenant Commander
the shoe has a full 45 or 90 degrees of movement (I cannot remember exactly) That isn't much.

Chevyls6

Petty Officer 1st Class
Where do i buy the template for checking play in the lower gearcase shift shaft ?
I saw a youtube video of a guy using a protractor and wire wound around the splined lower shaft to check.

achris

Where do i buy the template for checking play in the lower gearcase shift shaft ?
I saw a youtube video of a guy using a protractor and wire wound around the splined lower shaft to check.
It's in the service manual..