FORUM RULES UPDATED - The forum rules have been updated to continue to provide a friendly and safe environment for our member community. Please take a moment to review the updated rules and our terms of use and privacy policy. Click here for Forum Rules which has links to the 'terms of use' and 'privacy policy'.
In Other News . . .
You will notice a few enchancements to the forums to make your experience better. These include: Email Notifications, Thread Previews, Thread Starter Notation, and Emoji Options on the 'Like' icon. . .
Additionally, the merchant portions of the website have been updated and are now operational. . . . Check out iBoats for all your boating gear.
I have a 1967 or '68 80 h.p. Johnson Sea Horse, I have little to no power. I understand its approximately 50 y/o but does anyone have any tips to get anymore power out of it before I give up and spend $$$$ on a new motor. It tops out at 6-7 mph.
i have had good luck by running sea foam through fuel tank and even using the spray sea foam directly in the intake to clean trash out of the fuel system i would try that before spending money on new motor. then move to rebuild carb or carbs if sea foam doesnt help.
I have a 1967 or '68 80 h.p. Johnson Sea Horse, I have little to no power. I understand its approximately 50 y/o but does anyone have any tips to get anymore power out of it before I give up and spend $$$$ on a new motor. It tops out at 6-7 mph.
What's the model number of that engine?
What make and designation spark plugs are you using?
Run a compression check. What are the psi readings of all the individual cylinders?
The spark on that type ignition should jump a 1/4" to 3/18" air gap with a strong blue lightning like flame... a real SNAP... does it? The gap is important!