No Power to ignition switch Johnson 40 hp

msenior58

Recruit
My wife lost the key to the boat and was told to either bring in the boat or the ignition switch. We took the switch; but when we connected the wriring back which we diagramed before removing, we are not getting power to the switch for some reason. We were able to find 3 fuses under the dash but they do not seem related. Can you please send the wiring diagram or inform me of a reset switch or location of the fuse that we are unable to find. We are getting 12 volts at the motor (Yellow Red wire). We are also unable to tilt the motor on the boat or on the side of the motor unless we use a bypass, which we had to do to get it out of the water. The ignition tries to start when using the wire (bypass) from the motor to the stater. Is there a relay.

Thank You so much.
20 Ft. 1990 Suntoon

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: No Power to ignition switch Johnson 40 hp

What year is that 40hp Johnson?

savorfaire

Recruit

if by now you haven't found out, there is a fuse under the cowling cover which controls trim and voltage to ignition. 20 amp on my 200 johnson

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

And now you know why it is best to disconnect one terminal of the battery when performing erlectrical work (grin). You didn't need to remove the ignition switch..... the key number is imprinted on the switch right where the key inserts.

The power 20 ampere fuse is in one of the smaller red wires leading from the starter solenoid. You can't miss it.