No place like home!!!!!!!!!

malibu4u

Petty Officer 1st Class
I went to another site to try and get help with a computer problem(stupid me!) and got no where fast. As a matter of fact, someone from iboats recommended it( his 2nd post or something) and was I ever disappointed with it. I got the severe run around and I feel the people were not qualified to change a fuse let alone a different than normal problem. They say the grass is greener on the other side but let me tell you that our folks here are alot better than where I was. Now, if only my problem could be solved.....in time I guess.

malibu4u

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: No place like home!!!!!!!!!

Hi T&F, I have a wee question about my firewall,Zone Alarm. I get at least 20 pop ups a day from ZA about a Time Executable that keeps on wanting access. ZA does not recoginize it and won't let it through and I have no idea what it is so I check Deny each time it comes in. I ran Time Executable in my run file and this is what it says:<br /> Application........LXBStime.exe<br /> File name..........LXBStime.exe<br /> In folder..........c:\windows\system<br /> Type...............Application<br /> Modified...........3/17/04 4:27PM<br />I guess when I see it was modified in 2004 that I should be fairly safe in letting it in but then I think that ZA has been around for a while so why does it not recoginise this Time Executable. I don't want to allow it access to my computer if I shouldn't. I am running Windows 98SE with internet explorer 6 SPI & internet tools. Any help would be appreciated. This only started 3 or 4 weeks ago. Don't know what caused it.<br /> I have a feeling that this post will be moved.

cmyers_uk

Senior Chief Petty Officer

See my post in reply to the same question in non-boating technical tips. Zone Alarm doesnt care what the executable is it is just asking you whether you are happy letting it contact the internet. The answer is either yes or no. When you select whichever it is check the box that says something like remember this setting. 3 - 4 weeks ago did install something like a clock syncing program? Have you ran and upto date virus checker? As pre the previous thread have you ran spybot / adaware?<br /><br />Do you have LXBStime.dll installed?

malibu4u

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yes Chris, LXBStime.dll is there when I run it in my find. I have not installed anything new in the past 2 months and I am faithful in running spyware and adware every day and my anti virus is updated daily. Will check previous post again. Must have missed something. Do you think I could allow this in?

cmyers_uk

If you dont know what it is always say No. Once you have set ZoneAlarm to say no forever it will not ask you again. I cant find anything that suggests it is a virus or spyware. I suspect but cant prove it that at sometime you have clicked a link that has installed some software to keep your PC clock in sync with a known good time source. In add and remove programs is there any program that you dont recognise that mentions time? If so remove it. However if all you want to do is deny the program access to the internet you can do this through zonealarm and it will never ask you again. <br /><br />Regards<br /><br />Chris

cmyers_uk

P.S I read your thread on the other forum and see your problem.

malibu4u

Petty Officer 1st Class

Tks Chris. I won't let it in just because and I still haven't set my PC clock in sync and I am the only one that uses this computer. I tell ZA to deny access but it still lets it in all the time and I keep on clicking deny. But, if that's the worst of my problems, I can live with it. Appreciate the help.

cmyers_uk

Can you try this,<br /><br />Double click the ZA icon in the toolbar. Select program control. In the list of programs is there anything like time sync or the executable name you mentioned?<br /><br />If there is under access / trusted click and select block , then do the same for access / internet. From then on it should not ask you the question. <br /><br />If it does try renaming the executable & dll. I dont use 98 so dont know how to explain how to do it but look in the startup folder to see if it is being started automatically.

malibu4u

Petty Officer 1st Class

Tks Chris. Must get ready to go out for dinner. Will let you know tomorrow how I make out. Your help is really appreciated.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

Mustamist your original post. This is all geek-speak to me, but trust me....I'm going to read (not saying comprehend) everything typed here. This is because I have the same, or simular program trying to get clearance every time I reboot the puter. I have denied passage, and have checked the "Allways use this action", which keeps STME.EXE from connection. With it's denial, I've noticed no ill effects. <br /><br />Dont know what it is, <br />don't know what it wants.<br />Don't now what it is supposed to do. <br />Don't know where it came from..<br />Dont care. It aint using my pc as a point to make baby STMES out there in cyberspace on some poor dumb schmuck's (like me) machine!!<br />I suspect thius thread will get spirited-off to the non-boating tech section.

malibu4u

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hey, Mr Chris Myers in the UK you "ARE THE MAN" and my hat goes off to you. What you thought all along about the precision time or clock turned out to be the problem but it wasn't from me and must have been an update. Tried what you said in your last post, it didn't work so I went to the 2 sites that you told me to read and found them interesting and eventually got steered to http://www.2-spyware.com/file-time-exe.html and here is what I found. File time.exe is related to browser hijacker Coolwebsearch.time. File time.exe is related to adware Precision time. File time.exe is related to spyware and it gives you a downloader to remove.<br />I went into my find files and sure enough coolwebsearch.time is there. I deleted it(keep it in my recycle bin for 3 to 5 days to make sure computer runs good.....learned this the hard way) then I will zap it if all is okay. I have no time.exe files when I run it in my find file. Is it okay to leave LXBSTIME.DLL in my computer? <br />I checked adaware and there is no clock there that I can find so do they mean precision time as in a watch or something else? <br /><br />Chris, sorry about all the questions but I will thank you once again for all your help and do hope somehow in the future I can assist you somehow. It won't be with computers but maby some other way.<br /><br />Best Regards<br />Ed

cmyers_uk

I am really glad things are working out the good news is you really did this yourself. Regards leaving the dll. I dont think it will do any harm, however if you want to make sure safely just rename it to <filename>.dll.bak and reboot. That way if something needed it you will soon find out but I suspect not. Likewise Im off out to dinner now, <br /><br />Hope all goes well<br /><br />Chris<br />P.S Dont worry about all the questions thats what the forums are for. You should see all my threads on basic engine / boating problems

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

Hey...Thanks to BOTH of you! I just did a file search for "coolwebsearch", and found over 50 hits!!!<br />They are all over in the recycle bin now, following your advice to make sure the puter don't die without them.<br />This was the perfect day to dig-in and find out what was going on too...I'm layed-up with a broken wing, a cold, and it's waaaay too windy to catch fish..TV is boring today, at least until the NASCAR race get's going.<br />Thanks again, you guys.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

You can also download this program and it finds all kinds of crap on your puter. Stuff you don't even know you have.<br />It's free for 30 days and works well.<br /> http://www.webroot.com/services/spyaudit_03.htm <br /><br />Just click it and click start spy audit.<br />They don't use cookies or anything.<br />My buddy in Sweden put me onto it and I'm glad he did. Cleaned up a bunch of stuff on there that Norton, McCaffee(sp) and ZA did not find.<br /><br />Just my .02 worth.

malibu4u

Petty Officer 1st Class

Glad this thread helped 12Footer and Chris sure helped me clean things up. I am also surprized it stayed where it did but the orginal post was Dock side then it got into puters. The bottom line is that I got excellant help from iboats and I should never have waviered from it.<br /><br />Will try that site you mentioned SBN. Sounds good.

malibu4u

Petty Officer 1st Class

SBN.....How much do you trust this site? I ran it and it found a trojan. I then ran spybot and adaware and they said my puter was okay and I ran webroot again & picked up this trojan again whereas the other two didn't. It also didn't fix it either. Any suggestions on how to verify this trojan? Boy, how much longer this thread will stay here is anybody's guess!

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Mailbu, shut all your stuff down, run it again and then reboot and see if it don't fix it.<br /><br />As fas as trust goes, my buddy in Sweden is top notch on this stuff and he downloaded it first and evaluated it before telling me to download it, so yea, I trust it.<br /><br />It also found stuff that the other's didn't.<br /><br />The problem I had was a pop up everytime I opened IE and they would just keep poping up ever 5 minutes or so.. Not on netscape, just IE.<br /><br />I downloaded it and ran it and it found 2 trojans that was hooked to IE browser.<br /><br />Got rid of them and no more pop ups.

malibu4u

Petty Officer 1st Class

Okay SBN< I will try it and see what happens. Will let you know.