No Crank

1983 50hp with remote controls won’t crank. I don’t use it much at all anymore but I try to run the motor every so often and it has historically fired right up. This last time it wouldn’t even crank. I noted the ignition switch had some visible corrosion and it didn’t fell crisp to turn so I replaced it and the starter solenoid. Don’t even get a click from the solenoid. The battery is fine BTW.

Any thoughts?

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Cranking here means turning over (not necessarily starting). Gather yours doesn't crank. Take sandpaper to the battery leads, and polish until shiny. Try moving the throttle lever back and forth slightly within the neutral detent while turning the start key (not sure if the safety switch is in the box or in the motor.)

Crosbyman

Rear Admiral
the issue comes up on occasion start with the basics...as suggested clean all contact points of the wiring...

with somebody holding the key on START wiggle all the accessible wiring (possible broken/open control wire somewhere in a bend or flex point (turn the steering both ways)
tap the starter with a rubber mallet see if anything happens
if you have a main engine side plug ..open it clean it retest it
report back

if nothing works then you are into deeper testing...with a meter or test lamp
(not overly complicated)

I think I got it. I narrowed it down with my multimeter and found major corrosion in the wiring harness plug under the tape. The red/purple wire was the culprit. Thanks.