NFL Week 4

jtmarten

Master Chief Petty Officer
Oh good Lord, Lovie Smith needs to be fired!!!!!
After the game he basically blamed the defense for letting the Giants score 17pts! He's off his rocker. The defense played an excellent game.
He basically said the Giants' defense was too much for the offensive line, and they could only block so much.
Nothing but making excuses to cover his incompetence!
Mike Martz doesn't seem to have the ability to realize his QB is holding the ball way too long while looking for a 30-40yd strike, when receivers are open 7-8yds. After the first 2min of the game he should have made major adjustments, have Cutler focus on 5-10yd passes. Same problem the Bears have had since the Grossman days - lousy offensive line.
I stand by my 6-10 prediction (unfortunately).

mphy98

Lieutenant
Re: NFL Week 4

The Packers won (although it almost wasn't) The Bears Lost!! All in all a good day for me. To bad Michael Vick got hit like that. It could have been a career ender. Talk about a sandwich! OUCH. It was nice to see Mcnabb and his old coach give a hug, I like good sportsmanship. Oh and by the way GO PACK GO!! I know but you know how we love are green and gold up here.

jtmarten

Master Chief Petty Officer

The hit on Vick was nasty.
I was pleasantly suprised McNabb got an ovation. One of the best players Philly ever had. Glad to see the 'skins pick up the win.

Hard to believe the Rams are 2-2 and the Chiefs are the only remaining undefeated team! Good year for football!

WIMUSKY

Staff member

There is a fair amount of teams 0 - 4 which is surprising. Really no stand out team as of yet. Even tho I'm a closet Chiefs fan, I'm not getting on that wagon, "yet".... Shaping up to be a good season... Just, maybe not for us...

MIN_logo-80x90.gif

angus63

Captain

9E72A800F5134761A4AE49EAEC53B6D4.jpg

Went to the game last night looking for some spark from the NY Giants, and found some in the Defensive Line!! 10 sacks matches record from 1963! Cutler was a trooper but had no help. Giants offense did okay, but the punting, kicking, and special teams coverage is very poor every game. It's gonna cost some games in the future if it doesn't improve. The new stadium is drab like a Battleship. Not a well spent 1.6 billion dollars in my opinion. 2-2 makes a three way tie for first in the NFC East. No one team shows any dominance, so the season may be a tight battle til January. Taking on the Texans away next week. GO BLUE!!!!!!

scipper77

Commander

As a bears fan, I thought screens and slant passes were the answer to those blitzes. If they would have focused on short passes instead of looking down field it would have kept the defense honest.

They (NYG) only blitzed so much because they could. A couple of short yardage plays would have nipped that in the bud.

skargo

Banned

It was great to see the Ravens go to Pittsburgh and get a win, despite many local Steelers fans saying it would have been different if Big Ben was playing. I'm not buying that, as the last 5-6 games between the two teams have been tight games, all within 3 points, with the exception of one that was decided by 4 points.

It was nice to see Flacco have a game winning, clutch drive. They have played 3 great defenses out of their 4 games and the Browns played them hard, heck, they beat the Bengals yesterday!

It's an exciting year, with many great teams, I love the parity in the NFL.

DECK SWABBER 58

Lieutenant Commander

After the game he basically blamed the defense for letting the Giants score 17pts! He's off his rocker. The defense played an excellent game.
He basically said the Giants' defense was too much for the offensive line, and they could only block so much.
Mike Martz doesn't seem to have the ability to realize his QB is holding the ball way too long while looking for a 30-40yd strike, when receivers are open 7-8yds. After the first 2min of the game he should have made major adjustments, have Cutler focus on 5-10yd passes. Same problem the Bears have had since the Grossman days - lousy offensive line.
THAT WAS UGLY.:eek::eek::eek:

Maybe next week the coaching staff can take the place of the offensive line and Smith or Martz can play quarterback.:D

angus63

Captain

As a bears fan, I thought screens and slant passes were the answer to those blitzes. If they would have focused on short passes instead of looking down field it would have kept the defense honest.

They (NYG) only blitzed so much because they could. A couple of short yardage plays would have nipped that in the bud.

I saw the game live and my conclusions differ some and agree some with the quote above. Of the 10 sacks, only two ocurred during a blitz. 8 sack credits went to the defensive line while only rushing four. The Bears' attempts early to throw short were, for the most part, blocked, nearly intercepted, or intercepted because the Giants new defensive gameplan was to play tight man to man coverage on the outside at the line and keep the linebackers 5yds off of scrimmage, instead of their typical zone cover two coverage and shooting LB's into the gaps. A healthy CB Webster kept Hester in check being real physical with the speedy WR, and Cutler rarely attempted a single throw on CB Ross who can stick like glue to most any receiver inside of 15 yds.

Martz is still living vicariously through the success he enjoyed with the offense he choreographed with the Rams years ago. History shows he doesn't adjust well to game time conditions and continued with his game plan against a zone type defense. With a mediocre offensive line and NYG corners up tight on the wide outs, the pocket was collapsing before Cutler looked through his progressions. He didn't keep a back or tight end in the pocket for support, always sending 5 in the pattern, and ten sacks and two concussed QB's resulted.

I only recall one short screen pass attempt all night. The NYG kept the linebackers at home to prevent against screens and Martz's first love, the quick inside slant.

It's my opinion that the "new look" NYG defense and "dyed in the wool" Martz were the recipe for last night's result.

angus63

Captain

Yeah, kinda what I saw too! I sat right behind the Bears' bench and there was alot of confusion and finger pointing from Smith. See my other reply for more detail.

TilliamWe

Banned

Uuugghhh the Stillers let one slip away. And to a good team at that. They "needed" that win. Ravens in driver's seat for division now, and that's a bummer.

WIMUSKY

Staff member

I'm watching the Troy/Mid Tenn game on ESPN, on the ticker they said Randy Moss and the Vikings were close to a deal. Hmmmmmm, not sure how to respond to that one yet..... Brett will probably be happy.

angus63

Captain

I would guess Brett is thrilled to have a shuffleboard partner....:p

MPII

Petty Officer 1st Class

GO BROWNS!!! Big Win against Bengals. Every game this year, Browns have led going into the half. They always find a way to loose even with some real talent this year.

This was the first game they converted on third down, in the fourth quarter. Week off, then on to Pitt for Rothlesberger's First Game Back, Bring it On!!!:D

skargo

Banned

GO BROWNS!!! Big Win against Bengals. Every game this year, Browns have led going into the half. They always find a way to loose even with some real talent this year.

This was the first game they converted on third down, in the fourth quarter. Week off, then on to Pitt for Rothlesberger's First Game Back, Bring it On!!!:D

They are playing very well!

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Great to see the Giants win but they have some work to do and improvements to make if they want to remain in contention this season.
Lions made it a close game once again but stayed just on the wrong side of the points again. They need to win one before the entire team become demoralized and give up.

angus63

Captain

I'm watching the Troy/Mid Tenn game on ESPN, on the ticker they said Randy Moss and the Vikings were close to a deal. Hmmmmmm, not sure how to respond to that one yet..... Brett will probably be happy.

It's official. Moss is purple.

WIMUSKY

Staff member

It's official. Moss is purple.

Really... So, did you hear what the Vikes had to give up for him? Randy had to finish the year to finish out his contract with NE. I hope it's not another Dallas/Walker deal. Mn gave Dallas back to back superbowls after that trade with all the draft picks and whatnot........ If Moss can keep his nose clean(that's why he got dumped in the 1st place by Mn) and it wasn't another Dallas deal, then fine...... We actually could use the guy with Rice being out. Could be interesting when Rice does come back and have both of them on the field at the same time. Can't double team both guys ....

skargo

Banned

So the 2 old drama queens are finally together!