Next size? Johnson 115

egscharf

Seaman Apprentice
Thread starter
Joined
Dec 2, 2012
Messages
30
I have a seaswirl 1850 wa with a johnson 115 SPL. Was getting 27mph at 4400 rpm with a 13.75 x 19 prop. I switched to a 13.25 x 15 and am now running in the correct operating range (now at 5000 rpm WOT) but the boat is slower, around 22 MPH. What should my next move be? Thinking maybe a 13.25 x 17. What do you think?
Thanks!
 

jestor68

Commander
Joined
Jun 12, 2012
Messages
2,308
Re: Next size? Johnson 115

Your motor's WOT rpm range is 4500-5500 rpm. It's power peak is at 5000 rpm(115 hp @ 5000 rpm).

Using the 150-200 rpm per inch of pitch rule, you are in the range with a 600 rpm change for 4 inches of pitch change.

So based on what you are getting per pitch change, I'd expect that a 17 would drop about 300 rpm compared to the 15 and pick up 2-3 mph.

I should point out it's better to have the motor turning at the high end of the range with a light load, so that it will be able to still get up to speed with a heavier load.
 

Silvertip

Honorary Supreme Mariner
Joined
Sep 22, 2003
Messages
28,772
Re: Next size? Johnson 115

I think you need to get a better speed reading -- such as with a handheld GPS. And make sure the engine is properly tuned and making full power. This combination doesn't sound right.
 

egscharf

Seaman Apprentice
Thread starter
Joined
Dec 2, 2012
Messages
30
Re: Next size? Johnson 115

The data is gps. Remember, I dropped .50/inch diameter.
I think you need to get a better speed reading -- such as with a handheld GPS. And make sure the engine is properly tuned and making full power. This combination doesn't sound right.
 

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Joined
Apr 26, 2002
Messages
19,069
Re: Next size? Johnson 115

Assuming your Seaswirl is a 2000 it's 19 ft and weighs about 2350 dry weight. What year is your rig?
I'm thinking you should be running about a 15" prop but should be turning about 5500 rpm at about 35 mph. I think either one or more of your numbers are wrong or your setup isn't right or perhaps your power is down.
 
Top