Newer control on older Johnson 70hp

fngboater

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi there. I have a 1975 johnson 70hp and it came on the boat with a quicksilver? Controls. The problem with it is that the original controls that i dont have, had a warm up or start lever that you pulled up for starting it. I think it advances the throttle a little from neutral. However the quicksilver controls dont have that. Only the shifter lever. I want to do a link and sync but not sure which lines on the cam to line up with.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The control will have a feature to lock out the shift function and advance throttle only.----Just ask your boating friends how to operate that control.----Any OMC control with the big red plug will work on your 1975 model 70 hp.

fngboater

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Yes it has the button on the shifter for throttle only. And yes there is a big red plug on the engine. So what about doing the link and sync? There is a cam that has two lines on it that the roller has to line up with. One says “start” the other is blank. Are you familiar with the johnson link and sync procedure?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Well----Yes I hear about it all the time.------What is your motor doing / not doing that gives you the hope that the " linc and sync " will fix it.-----What other trouble shooting have you done.----Note----I could rebuild your 70 hp motor top and bottom without a glance at the manual.

fngboater

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Got the boat with the motor and controls already on it. Motor was not running. Found a shoddy repair job on the intake manifold which was causing a vacuum leak. Changed out the intake for a good one. Had to pull the power head off the lower unit to do that. Rebuilt the carbs. Basically starting at the beginning to make sure everything runs right. Also need to check the timing. Motor starts but won’t stay running. Am in the process of repairing/replacing fuel lines first because there are some bubbles in one of the fuel lines